Top Shelf Aquatics

[JBJ 45g RL] Good "return" pump replacement

bennyd

Looking for some opinions of good return pump replacements for this thing, the two pumps that come with them are loud and in my opinion, under powered. So, something super quiet, reliable, and I'm guessing around 500gph?

Marine depot has a good video for tank upgrades for this tank. Look under their videos then playlists there should be one called tank hacks with I think 14 videos. They upgrade on that video from 2 pumps to a single TUNZE 1073.05 DC pump.

• Like 1

No problem!  I've got the same tank and I'm pretty much modeling my build after that video, with the exception of the protein skimmer. I'd like to find one that fits in one of the chambers instead of a HOB.

• Like 1

I forgot about the video, but my intention was to build the same thing as well when I first seen these tanks, minus the light and power heads, but after using a pair of jebao rw-8's (not tuned down with voltage) it's a bit much and they're quite cheaply made(BOTH units literally throw sparks when plugging in the power to the controller units)... Was really thinking that the MP 10's are a little too much cost wise, but may actually be a better option.

I'm using a NanoBox Duo Plus M from Dave, don't have any corals yet, but the features and colors of the light are great, exceptional customer service and a great product all around.

I'm debating on the skimmer myself, I was going to go with the new AquaMaxx HOB 1.5 that is out, has a couple small changes, I don't mind a HOB unit as long as the pump and everything is inside of the actual unit and not in the tank or on the outside of the skimmer. I've used aqua c remoras and didn't like them at all but these AquaMaxx with the Sicce(Shark) pumps and the features, it doesn't seem it can overflow and its a nice lookin unit, not too big.

Think the Tunze and Vortec things are a bit too rich for my blood so I'm not sure what some other decent options would be, the default return pumps are junk and the Jebao's, maybe if their quality was better and some of the features actually did something, I like that you can point them compared to the MP10's flat wet side.. I hate this part. LOL

I actually don't have anything in the tank at all except some sand and water at the moment, waiting to be able to get my aquascape delivered and the fun begins. :)

I scored a set of the vortech pumps on ebay for an okay price. The protein skimmer I was looking at the CAD Lights PLS-50 Elite, but everywhere including the CAD Lights site is sold out and I don't know if they are even making them anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Jbj 30 and I'm running a sicce syncra 2.0 it's about the gph your looking for plus it's adjustable. Super quite, I can hardly tell it's on. My mp10 makes more noise than it 

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation. I was looking at the Sicce's. Probably end up getting one of those in the next month or so. Currently working on getting my aqua scape.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the response, I'll check them out... Still haven't done much with the tank... I did however get my aqua scape in the tank... I'll try to get some pictures of it once I get my light back from being repaired.