SaltCritters.com

Minimal ADA 60P "low tech" setup

samuelhorn

Current FTS:

So, after years of lurking I finally decided and pulled the trigger on a reef tank.

This build is going to be a pretty slow project. I'm aiming at having the thank cycled & up and running before fall 2017. I'm going for a pretty clean look, golden ratio scape, mostly LPS and beginner friendly corals, and maximum of two small fishes.

Im starting this thread to get some advice along the way, and to document my progress.

I got:

- Tank (ada 60p)

- Stand (DIY "ada stand")

- Heater (Jäger 75w)

- Return pump (Sicce Syncra 1.0)

Stuff to get (chronological):

- Plastic to cover sump area (DIY from precut pieces or Oceanbox)

- Rocks (Macro rocks, 12kg)

- Sand

- Power head (Jabeo rw4)

- ATO (Auto aqua micro)

- Light (AI Prime or Coralbox Moon)

- A whole lot more.

My plan now is to make the AIO by building the filtration area where I will have a surface skimming intake section with a rack that can take floss & chemipure. Then the water will continue throug a boubletrap to the return chamber where I will have return pump, heater & ATO. Maybe a small fuge in between.

So, my first question: Where should I put the AIO-section? Back-mid, back-corner or right. I'm also thinking about covering the full back, and make a fuge, but it'll probably ruin the look.

Second question: Anyone had their AIOs white? I think it would fit the look better to have it in white acrylic rather than black, but it's hard to find examples online, am I missing something here?

Anyway, here are som pics, explaining my AIO-section ideas with cardboard:

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

Edited by samuelhorn
current full tank shot
  • Like 1

Nice setup!

I'd put it in the back right personally. All white would blend in nicely with the back wall there. If you're worried about ruining the clean look you could always go with a Mame overflow and add a small sump but I understand that's not what you're going for ;)

• Like 1

I second mame overflow and sump.  If that isnt what you want though, I would for it in the middle.  I dont know if you will be able to get a refugium in there though.

What are your filtration plans?

1 hour ago, Justind823 said:

Nice setup!

I'd put it in the back right personally. All white would blend in nicely with the back wall there. If you're worried about ruining the clean look you could always go with a Mame overflow and add a small sump but I understand that's not what you're going for ;)

Belive me, I have tought a lot about Mame, Xaqua inout, Oceanlife and other slick overflow systems. Just to worried about accidents with no emergency drains. But I'm rethinking it every day. Definitely have the room for a small sump in the stand. Thanks for the input! :)

59 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I second mame overflow and sump.  If that isnt what you want though, I would for it in the middle.  I dont know if you will be able to get a refugium in there though.

What are your filtration plans?

Thank you for your input. My filtration plans are a lot of dry rock, which hopefully will be "alive" when it's time for fish. A pretty decent live sand bed. Then in the AIO section (or sump below) I would probably run some filter floss, purigen and chemipure elite. I'm starting pretty basic and see where it ends. Since it's my first reef I'm always open for suggestions :) 

4 minutes ago, samuelhorn said:

Belive me, I have tought a lot about Mame, Xaqua inout, Oceanlife and other slick overflow systems. Just to worried about accidents with no emergency drains. But I'm rethinking it every day. Definitely have the room for a small sump in the stand. Thanks for the input! :)

Thank you for your input. My filtration plans are a lot of dry rock, which hopefully will be "alive" when it's time for fish. A pretty decent live sand bed. Then in the AIO section (or sump below) I would probably run some filter floss, purigen and chemipure elite. I'm starting pretty basic and see where it ends. Since it's my first reef I'm always open for suggestions :) 

My only concern with the size of your AIO chamber is if you decide to get more complex (skimmer, controller, etc) you might (read: probably) wont have enough room in the AIO chamber.  also, imo, sumped ADAs with mame overflows are super sexy.  there are a few of them on here.  

Since this is such a beautiful tank, I would just want you to be able to expand as you grow in the hobby.  There are many styles of husbandry and I would hate to see you literally box yourself in.

Personally, IMO if you have room for a sump, take it.  As you progress you can add a skimmer, doser, a place for your probes if you decide to get a controller, rhe heater, and all your filtration material (or more rock) as you need it.  Not everyone wants or need those things, but it would be good not to worry about "I have a lot of fish and want to keep sps but I need a skimmer.  where will it go?"

You know what I'm saying?  I would want to know I have room to become more complicated if I choose to later on.

2 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

I'd go with the center placement.  White backgrounds do pop up from time to time.  They can actually look quite beautiful!

My 85 in the sig is white background with a center overflow ;)

• Like 2

Nice set up. Really clean look. Did you build the stand yourself?  Looks like it was designed for the ADA.

The Oceanbox would be great if they made one compatible with the dimensions of this tank.  However, as others mentioned it will limit your equipment options especially if you intend to keep all equipment hidden.

On 2017-03-07 at 8:59 PM, lkoechle said:

My only concern with the size of your AIO chamber is if you decide to get more complex (skimmer, controller, etc) you might (read: probably) wont have enough room in the AIO chamber.  also, imo, sumped ADAs with mame overflows are super sexy.  there are a few of them on here.  

Since this is such a beautiful tank, I would just want you to be able to expand as you grow in the hobby.  There are many styles of husbandry and I would hate to see you literally box yourself in.

Personally, IMO if you have room for a sump, take it.  As you progress you can add a skimmer, doser, a place for your probes if you decide to get a controller, rhe heater, and all your filtration material (or more rock) as you need it.  Not everyone wants or need those things, but it would be good not to worry about "I have a lot of fish and want to keep sps but I need a skimmer.  where will it go?"

You know what I'm saying?  I would want to know I have room to become more complicated if I choose to later on.

My 85 in the sig is white background with a center overflow ;)

Thank you! You just convinced me to go with a small sump. I will probably run the xaqua in.out. :)

17 hours ago, tam said:

Did you build that stand?  Looks awesome!  How do you access the bottom?

17 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Nice set up. Really clean look. Did you build the stand yourself?  Looks like it was designed for the ADA.

The Oceanbox would be great if they made one compatible with the dimensions of this tank.  However, as others mentioned it will limit your equipment options especially if you intend to keep all equipment hidden.

Thanks. Yeah, the stand is built by me, used blueprints found on google, made by a user on a U.K. planted tank forum (https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/diy-ada-style-aquarium-stand.31348/page-20, scroll down a few posts to find it). The blueprint is made for 18mm thick material. I also made a wood frame inside for better support. Made with precut material from the wood shop, just paid around $60 bucks in total for the whole thing, just put it together myself :). The bottom is accesed with a simple door.

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

• 5 months later...

This looks so cool so far!  Definitely following your thread :)

Some questions for you.  Since you last updated quite awhile ago, did you finally  decide on the sump or the fake overflow/AIO setup?  If you were going the fake overflow set up, how were you planning on DIYing it? 

Were you/are you (still) planning on making the overflow/background (?) white?  I think It will give it a very clean, crisp look, but I wonder how anal you are about scraping algae/corralline consistently!

Can't wait for pics/updates on this!

2 hours ago, jamie1210 said:

This looks so cool so far!  Definitely following your thread :)

Some questions for you.  Since you last updated quite awhile ago, did you finally  decide on the sump or the fake overflow/AIO setup?  If you were going the fake overflow set up, how were you planning on DIYing it? 

Were you/are you (still) planning on making the overflow/background (?) white?  I think It will give it a very clean, crisp look, but I wonder how anal you are about scraping algae/corralline consistently!

Can't wait for pics/updates on this!

Thank you!

Its been standing this way while Ive been thinking back and forth of the filtration. As I tried to explain in your thread I finally settled to run this totally natural, with just LR, LS & Flow, keeping up with regular WCs. So no mechanical or chemical filter at all, at least to begin with. I like the simplicity of this method, and as I only plan to keep softies and maybe some LPS, kind of like your tank, without the HOB. 

I may be adding some internal filtration like this: https://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_Comline_Streamfilter_3163_Aerobic_Sponges-Tunze-TZ73163-FIFRISAS-vi.html) if needed in the future. :)

Will update the thread whit scape suggestions soon, stone arriving today :)

• Like 1

So, stone arrived today, just a quick test before going away for the weekend, more suggestions on Sunday when I get back home.

Unfortunately the bag with live sand was shattered on arrival, all dried up. So I will recieve a new bag next week.

first quick 5min scape idea:

IMG_5583.JPG

The tunze filter sounds like a great idea. I like how its able to even hide a heater inside too!   What are u planning to do for surface skimming?  Initially I tried koralia powerhead only but it really needed something to break the surface. 

Rocks look like a good amount. Can't wait to see the finished scape!

10 hours ago, jamie1210 said:

The tunze filter sounds like a great idea. I like how its able to even hide a heater inside too!   What are u planning to do for surface skimming?  Initially I tried koralia powerhead only but it really needed something to break the surface. 

Rocks look like a good amount. Can't wait to see the finished scape!

I have to wait and see :) probably will end up adding a mame overflow or something in the end, the tunze filter has surface skimming thoug.

New scape idea and som cable hiding below. Will put a cable channel on top of those cables aswell to hide the LED cable. Will soon order a Coral Box Moon led unit, and if I can I will paint it white. It will sit below a shelf over the tank, so no gooseneck. :) 

IMG_5772.JPG

IMG_5773.JPG

• Wow 1

All filled up with RODI saltwater mix and live sand. Will begin to ghost feed when the water is all cleared up to start a cycle :) water temp is set at 26° and wavemaker is on full blast.

Any things to keep in mind since this is my first go?

Im in no hurry.

IMG_5820.JPG

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

In reading your thread, I heard a concern about overflowing DT.  If sump pump is at a level that the volume in sump is insufficient to overflow DT, then you have designed out that concern.

You tank has a very sleek look to it.  Have you considered decorative macro algae’s.  This 55G macro lagoon only needs some gorgonions and filter feeders to complete my vision for it.  The red macros are Red Grapes and Dragons Breath.  The greens are supplied by Grape Caulerpa, GSP and Green Sinularia.

image.jpg

On 2017-10-14 at 3:03 PM, Subsea said:

In reading your thread, I heard a concern about overflowing DT.  If sump pump is at a level that the volume in sump is insufficient to overflow DT, then you have designed out that concern.

You tank has a very sleek look to it.  Have you considered decorative macro algae’s.  This 55G macro lagoon only needs some gorgonions and filter feeders to complete my vision for it.  The red macros are Red Grapes and Dragons Breath.  The greens are supplied by Grape Caulerpa, GSP and Green Sinularia.

image.jpg

Thank you.

Stopped thinking about a sump for now since I’m happy with this. Probably will add one later anyway :)

I have thought like you said as well, but what happens if the pump runs dry?

Actually I will soon be adding some “dragons breath”!

Here is my current FTS (excuse the quality, iPhone picture):

5A4CD0ED-BE59-4D59-BA61-D87378DD1EE8.jpeg

Before pumps run dry, they will be mixing air bubbles with the return water.  Depends on your pump with respect to running dry.  I ran MaxiJet 1200 dry for one day.  The impeller housing was warm to touch, but it pumped right up when submerged in water.  If you note the amount and frequency of filling, you will know how long you can leave tank unattended.

Rock work looks nice.  

I have 5 tanks without sumps.  This one has been set up 8 yrs.  The eggcrate ledge holds Dragon’s Breath.

image.jpg

• Like 1

So, it seems my new small pair of clown fish which I got a couple of weeks ago laid eggs in my 2 months(?!) old tank. Is this even possible?

They have been pretty sexual for a while, doing the classic shake at each other, one being more dominating. Today they where just sitting in a calm corner in the tank (they have been very active since I bought them). First I thought they were sick. Then when I was going to do some rock rearrangements near them, one of them suddenly attacked my hand. I watched closer and found some orange spots in a pile on the flat rock near them. Looked like maybe ten eggs. I thought they were juvenile and the tank is rather new. Could this really be the case? They’re still there by the rock, guarding.