Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

yellow-tail damsel

chufa

I think I'd like to keep my yellow tail damsel which I added to my new tank. But down the road I would like to have a tankmate for it. Some articles say it is actually an unagressive damsel, but it is a damsel after all. Are there any fish that can live with the damsel relatively peacefully in a 12 G?

mbfft! did you say unaggressive? sorry, i just norked my coffee.

um, zebra eel? leopard shark? or do you want something the damsel won't totally kick the crap out of?

don't get me wrong, they're beautiful demons. my clown gets along fine with my yellow-tails as along as it gets back to his anenome in time. :

My LFS told me that it would depend on the individual's personality. I will try adding an ocellaris clown next month or so. If it does not work, I will return the yellow-tail damsel. I normally would not want to do that, but that LFS takes great care of their fishes. But I bet it would be a pain in the @$$, as I will probably have to remove all my rocks to catch him.

Tank him out of the tank for two weeks after you add the next fish. Let the new fish establish territory, then put the damsel back in. This will help balance the scales, and would probably be enough for a fish like an ocelalris clown.

Well in my tank i have a

Clown Fish

Big PJ cardinal fish

Sleeper gold head goby

4-stripe damselfish

In my expirience with my tank 20g , My 4-striped damsel lives hidibg in his little cave because my clown fish bully him ..... It al depends on the personality of the fish. Yesterday i got the clown out for a while so that the damsel would mark his territory , and now it seems to be better :) ... For the rest of my fish every body come along with every body else : )

I think you wont have any problem mixing them

;)

Mkramer has a good idea. Yellowtail damsels are not unaggressive, but they are less aggressive than some of the other damsels. Just like Oscars(cichlid) are less aggressive than a Jewel cichlid. But I would not say the Oscar is unaggressive.

Basically, the more juvenile the fish and the less time it has had in the tank to establish territory, the more luck you will have. But there are no guarantees.

;)

Well i have a blue chromis and a yellow tail in mine with a koran angel, a lionfish, a p. clown, and a snowflake moray. The are actually the underdogs. The only thing they damsel do to the other fish is they slap their hind fin in the snowflakes face for some reason. Otherwise they all get along. The koran actually picks on them a lot. Maybe I got some mellow ones.

I have a Blue Devil in my tank with a Niger Trigger and a Clown Trigger, and he is by far the most aggressive of the three (in all fairness he has also been in there the longest). As a matter of fact he put a sore on the Clown Triggers back (they get along better now that the clown is the same size :P ).

Archived