Innovative Marine Aquariums

Any way to save this elegance coral?

L.bacchus88

L.bacchus88

Hey, I got an elegance coral as a gift (or I wouldn't have gotten one myself) it looked fantastic for a couple weeks always open- then it just stared to die, fast. I'm not sure there's anything I can do for it. My parameters are all in check, I could probably raise the Ca a bit? It's at 400. Last pic is how it looked for the first couple weeks. I moved it over a little when it started declining thinking it wasn't getting enough light or too much flow maybe. Idk. I feel bad haha 

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

Its pretty far gone.

I know they are finicky corals. They don't like heavy flow, they prefer low- moderate flow.

Moderat to high light.

400 ca isn't an issue as long as it stays stable. 

Whats your alkalinity kept at and is it kept stable?

RayWhisperer

It's elegance,it's gonna die.

when I started keeping reefs, elegance was among the easiest of corals to keep. You couldn't kill it with a hammer. Now, there is some sort of disease (not sure what else to call it) and they all die within a few weeks or months. Speculation is it's in the holding tanks where they collect it. I don't know much beyond that.

what I do know is what elegance likes, as far as water. It's a lagoon coral, therefore, it's in kinda dirty water.... maybe stained is a better term. Lots of particulates suspended in the water column. So, by that logic, it doesn't get a ton of light. My experience would confirm this. My first was in a 40 breeder with 1VHO Actinic and 4 more NO bulbs. Compared to what we use today, that's like moonlight. Back then I had a UG filter, as well as a crappy trickle filter, and one extra powerhead. Turnover on that tank was maybe 400 gph, tops. I used well water for everything, and didn't do water changes. So, I'd say dirty water is a must for these corals. It was the Stone Age compared to what reefing is today, but elegance always did fine.

sorry to be a bummer, but your coral is gonna die. It's not you, or your tank, it's the coral. None of them live anymore. Aussie elegance may, but I doubt it. And I ain't willing to try.

Sorry to say I've heard the same about them as Ray laid out for you. 

Trying feeding it daily unless it's too far gone to accept anything. Turn the pumps off and let the food sit there on top for an hour. You can cut out the end of a 2L bottle to keep other tank animals from snatching the food while you let it sit. 

1 hour ago, RayWhisperer said:

It's elegance,it's gonna die.

when I started keeping reefs, elegance was among the easiest of corals to keep. You couldn't kill it with a hammer. Now, there is some sort of disease (not sure what else to call it) and they all die within a few weeks or months. Speculation is it's in the holding tanks where they collect it. I don't know much beyond that.

what I do know is what elegance likes, as far as water. It's a lagoon coral, therefore, it's in kinda dirty water.... maybe stained is a better term. Lots of particulates suspended in the water column. So, by that logic, it doesn't get a ton of light. My experience would confirm this. My first was in a 40 breeder with 1VHO Actinic and 4 more NO bulbs. Compared to what we use today, that's like moonlight. Back then I had a UG filter, as well as a crappy trickle filter, and one extra powerhead. Turnover on that tank was maybe 400 gph, tops. I used well water for everything, and didn't do water changes. So, I'd say dirty water is a must for these corals. It was the Stone Age compared to what reefing is today, but elegance always did fine.

sorry to be a bummer, but your coral is gonna die. It's not you, or your tank, it's the coral. None of them live anymore. Aussie elegance may, but I doubt it. And I ain't willing to try.

These days I think it has more to do with where the elegance was sourced. They don't all die quickly. I have an elegance that's thrived in my tank for almost a year, and it's quite happy with medium-high flow:

elegance_32017.jpg

It does prefer low light for sure.  I have it at the bottom of my drop-off tank, and before that it was partially obscured by a power head in my previous tank. 

Mine is a fairly robust Australian specimen. And no I don't have super dirty water. :lol:

5 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

These days I think it has more to do with where the elegance was sourced. They don't all die quickly. I have an elegance that's thrived in my tank for almost a year, and it's quite happy with medium-high flow:

elegance_32017.jpg

It does prefer low light for sure.  I have it at the bottom of my drop-off tank, and before that it was partially obscured by a power head in my previous tank. 

Mine is a fairly robust Australian specimen. And no I don't have super dirty water. :lol:

I'm not one for these coral, but that picture is beautiful.  Is yours actually THAT pink tipped, or is lighting playing a factor?

1 minute ago, patback said:

I'm not one for these coral, but that picture is beautiful.  Is yours actually THAT pink tipped, or is lighting playing a factor?

It's actually pink. :)   

RayWhisperer
7 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

elegance_32017.jpg

All good. Read the last line of my post. Nice looking elegance. Tis good to see one living, again.

Archived