SaltCritters.com

Ordering tiny amounts of Live Rock

LJR

I'm building a five gallon nano and only need around 5 lbs of live rock. I'd like the price to stay within ~$5 per pound, but decent quality is a little more important, I'd like to avoid an extensive curing. Anyone know where I can order decent live rock that will be shipped to my door in a timely fashion? I live in the Southeastern US, so I figured my best bet would be from florida. Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you,

-LJR

6 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

http://www.kpaquatics.com/product/live-rock-aquacultured/

Excellent quality, have it shipped overnight. 

If you're in Florida, you can pay significantly less for overnight shipment from them. 

This place is pretty good too, but you might have to call them and talk to them to work something up to fit your needs: http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/

I've been looking a lot into tampabay, but I was confused on their shipping policy. I read something about "picking up rock" from the airport, and I had assumed that it would be shippe there and then I would have to go get it. Is this accurate?

7 hours ago, LJR said:

I've been looking a lot into tampabay, but I was confused on their shipping policy. I read something about "picking up rock" from the airport, and I had assumed that it would be shippe there and then I would have to go get it. Is this accurate?

I think so. I have to say, I really love their approach though, and I think the extra bit of effort is worth it. 

I have good friends and family who have gotten LR from KP Aquatics and it has been excellent quality with a lot of life still on it. They're also really good about working with you if you contact them and tell them exactly what you want. 

I have personally gotten extremely high quality Pacific LR through Premium Aquatics. I had some very specific things I was looking for which I discussed with them, and they really came through for me. 

My brain isn't really awake yet, need coffee, but if I remember after waking some brain cells up, I'll try to look up some old threads with pictorial evidence of what I'm talking about above. 

Ok, here's the thread about my experiences with quality Pacific Live Rock through Premium Aquatics: 

This little 5.5g tank was centered around the life that came in on LR from KP Aquatics, start looking on pg. 3 of this thread: 

52 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Ok, here's the thread about my experiences with quality Pacific Live Rock through Premium Aquatics: 

This little 5.5g tank was centered around the life that came in on LR from KP Aquatics, start looking on pg. 3 of this thread: 

That is definitely some fantastic rock. How exactly did you order it, did you order one of the packages, like the "10 pound package," or did you call them and get something more custom. Did it ship to you, or did you pick it up? I think you have me sold on the KB though, with the amount of life that is on it, you don't even need to stock it! Lol

In both cases, we contacted the vendor and told them exactly what we were looking for and they were very helpful in accommodating us. 

In both cases, the rock was shipped to us overnight. 

If preserving a large amount of life on your LR is important to you, ALWAYS have it shipped overnight and I would strongly recommend Soft Cycling it. We both did that with the rock in the threads above. 

I believe Tampa Bay has an instructional on their site on how to Soft Cycle, and it's what they recommend. 

I have a bit of a soft spot for live rock and all of the amazing life forms that come in on it. 

I've always wanted to do one or two experimental tanks centered around that, was even thinking about it just the other day. 

3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

In both cases, we contacted the vendor and told them exactly what we were looking for and they were very helpful in accommodating us. 

In both cases, the rock was shipped to us overnight. 

If preserving a large amount of life on your LR is important to you, ALWAYS have it shipped overnight and I would strongly recommend Soft Cycling it. We both did that with the rock in the threads above. 

I believe Tampa Bay has an instructional on their site on how to Soft Cycle, and it's what they recommend. 

I'm definitely going to have to look into KB now. I did plan on Soft Cycling, I'll have to more thoroughly research the process though.  I definitely appreciate you help, thank you!

No problem, I love stuff like this!!

Feel free to message me if you need further help or have questions once you get the rock in. 

Archived