Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New 29 Gallon Overflow Equipment Run-down, Turnover Pointers Greatly Appreciated!

bofo

Hello, nano reefers!

This is my first post on this forum; I've read it lots and lots and finally made an account to ask and in the future answer a few questions.

I thought I'd give a quick run-down of my overflow equipment; I'm 90% confident in it, but would like some validation and hopefully some tips if anyone would change anything.

First off, here is the basic sump I built:

IMG_0174.thumb.jpg.e1670e38e60af35bc98e83f83f16e63f.jpg

It's made out of a 10 gallon tank. I got a glass shop that I've done business with before to cut some panels 1/8" short of the standard tank width and they fit in great. Silicone'd them in, let it dry, one leak, fixed that, letting it dry again.

So, I read on here that 3x turnover in your sump is good. I have gone a bit over with the following equipment:

Eshopps PF-Nano (200gph) and a Viper return pump.

However, I have a skimmer rated for up to 45 gallons, pictured here:

IMG_0177.thumb.jpg.cb7e9a353a307d38b5fe19e82b387783.jpg

I'm hoping that the higher sump turnover than needed will help the skimmer operate at its full capability. Not sure if it works like that though; hopefully someone can tell me.

So, yeah! 200 gph turnover in the sump. As far as the rest of the turnover, I've read various opinions here. I hear they can range from 10x-100x total turnover. However, I have selected but not purchased the power heads I will want to use: 2x Koralia 240gph.

200 gph sump turnover + 480 gph from the power heads is 680 gph total turnover, correct? This amounts to about 23x turnover of the tank volume per hour.

Now the big question: will this be enough? If it helps, I am planning on stocking with mostly softies (at the bottom) and SPS (middle of tank), as I have 96 watts of florescent wattage and want to be a bit conservative.

Thank you all for your help. I look forward to getting my tank up and cycling in the coming week, and will update with photos!

Cheers,

Bo Forehand

Turnover rate is definitely important, although you still want to make sure you have even flow throughout the tank. This helps eliminate dead spots where algae can grow and waste can build up. The corals will require the water movement for feeding and cleaning purposes. Sps corals can definitely handle more flow then what you have, but I think you're at a good starting point. Your softies will be fine as they prefer lower water movement. It's important to experiment with the placement of your powerheads and coral. 

RIP Sebastian

Fluval Sea is shit. Do yourself a favor and get a real skimmer. I would also get an LED fixture. Watts per gallon isn't really an effective measure of lighting and florescent lighting is really inefficient.

Nick

2 hours ago, Nanomaniac said:

Turnover rate is definitely important, although you still want to make sure you have even flow throughout the tank. This helps eliminate dead spots where algae can grow and waste can build up. The corals will require the water movement for feeding and cleaning purposes. Sps corals can definitely handle more flow then what you have, but I think you're at a good starting point. Your softies will be fine as they prefer lower water movement. It's important to experiment with the placement of your powerheads and coral. 

Thanks! I'll play around with the placement there then, good to know I have a good starting point.

2 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Fluval Sea is shit. Do yourself a favor and get a real skimmer. I would also get an LED fixture. Watts per gallon isn't really an effective measure of lighting and florescent lighting is really inefficient.

Nick

Alright, well it's what I have for now, based on deals I got at a LFS. Sounds like a couple of upgrades for the future.

I have a 29 and started with two 240gph nano power heads as well. I soon upgraded one to a 425 and then recently picked up a Jebao PP-4 wave maker. I like it way more than the nanos. Much more flow and I like the ability to create a more random flow pattern with it. Seems better built as well. Not that much more expensive either. 

6 hours ago, AKay3600 said:

I have a 29 and started with two 240gph nano power heads as well. I soon upgraded one to a 425 and then recently picked up a Jebao PP-4 wave maker. I like it way more than the nanos. Much more flow and I like the ability to create a more random flow pattern with it. Seems better built as well. Not that much more expensive either. 

Awesome - Wow looks like what I'm going for is remarkably similar to this setup!

@everyone: I have settled on two koralia 425's, and will have my overflow going full blast for the cycle. In regards to the skimmer, that will be my first equipment upgrade. Maybe a Hydor like the one you have AKay! Meanwhile, I will use my Fluval and as I stock see how it's performing. And as for lighting, well, the deal I got on the florescents will outweigh energy cost for the time being. 

Today I also cemented together most of my PVC setup. I left out the bottom pieces, since I pick up my stand tomorrow and will want somewhat precise measurements.

Thanks again y'all updates coming asap.

Archived