Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

problem...

deezreef

...just picked up the reefstar 10k hqi pendant for my 20g and in turns out that the color is just too yellow for my taste. i'm trying to incorporate my 2 28 watt 71k pcs' but they don't fit in the pendant... what to do???!!!! i'm trying to think of doing a diy hood for the pcs' that won't block the pendant but nothing comes to mind. any ideas?? the pendant hangs about 9 inches above the tank. thats where my problem lies. oh, by the way i just tore down my 10g flat back hex in the other posts if you guys remember and put everything into the 20 flat back. the corals outgrew the tank. sad days. but the 20 is just as nice imo.

You could "picture frame" the top of the tank. Make your hood that has basically a big hole in the top.... the frame part is only as wide as your PC bulbs... does that make sense? Have a pc in the back of tank and one in the front. Might be easier to just get a different bulb... sell the old one to help defray the costs?

You could get a radium. I like glazers idea but I don't know if you would like it esthetacly. Judging by you old tank I would love to your new tank. Do you have any pics: How wide is the tank and how wide is the pendant?

i guess i should've know the 10k was too yellow. i'm lying the 28s near the back of the tank for now till i find something i can do. oh, yeah it's a reefstar. i would buy the 20k bulb but i don't think i want to spend another 90 bucks on another bulb after just getting the system. how do you like the reefstar nano?? any probs to date??

Deezreef: that 10G tank of yours was beautiful-IMO the best looking 10G tank I have seen yet.

I am waiting to see pics of the 20G, which I am sure will be awesome. Cant wait for the pics, when is the unveiling of the 20G reef tank?

deez,

not to put pressure on you with the new 20g but i agree with sahin, your 10g was the best i've seen. B) the growth and health of the tank was evident. great work! ;)

thanks tiny and sahin, now i really feel the pressure. i starting to regret getting the 20. i'll have pics up and running soon. i have to figure this hood situation out quick. i have to wear sun glasses to watch tv. not good. everything in the 20 seems to be looking good now, just waiting for things to brighten up under the halide before i take pics. i'll update soon.

nano neophyte

I hope you don't mind if I squeeze in here with a newbie question? I was told at some point that the 10Ks were really white .. while 6500s and the like were more yellow. I'm curious why your 10Ks are so yellow in color? Can someone explain that to me? It has me a little concerned as I just purchased a MH retro from a guy for my nano. he tells me it it's 175 W with a Ushio 10K bulb. Should I worry about having a similar problem with yellow?

i don't know why but 10k's don't really look crisp white to me. the only 10k that's ever looked white to me alone was the 250w DE HQI. I've experimented with 175w and 250w 10k moguls but they all seemed kinda yellow in tint. even that said, i tried out a 250w iwasaki once and it was like super yellow ! i though someone pee'd in my tank :happy:

and deez, keep up tha good work. that 10g was the best under it circumstances i've ever seen. i hope your 20g works out the same when it matures nicely !

Archived