SaltCritters.com

Shipping Anemones

KG5

I saw this topic on the site and realize that it was an old topic. However, for those interested; I imported marine aquarium fish and invertebrates for about 15 years. I was shipped a lot of anemones from around the world. Yes, generally anemones were shipped dry. In fact, at the exporting facility, they were generally placed on a screen to remove excess water by shrinking. In many cases, they are shipped wrapped in wet paper towels or dry. This is how anemones were shipped from Sri Lanka, Philippines, Africa and probably many other areas. Why were they shipped like that? Anemones are not that smart. If a lot of water is left in the bags, they still think they are in the ocean. Therefore, if they have eaten in the shipping facility or even prior to arriving in the shipping facility, they can foul the bags. I did the same thing when shipping them without incident. Why are they shipped with water now. I'm afraid that we the hobbyists are to blame. We freak out when an anemone comes in without water and we claim too many dead anemones whether they are dead or not. That is probably why they are shipped with water. Personally, I don't believe that they should.

KG5

Archived