SaltCritters.com

Wanting to get back into the hobby, needing recommendations for equipment

Horsey_Cat

For a few years on and off I've kept some tanks. The past 8 months I've been away from home volunteering mostly disaster relief and environmental work. In the beginning of May I will be back home, and I'm already starting to get that itch to setup a tank.

So right now I'm not exactly set on what tank, or even the size or shape that I want yet. But what I do know is I want something approximately 5 - 10 gallons. I want it to be very sleek looking, no black background just like a glass box. So that being said I'll obviously need a refugium, that's where things get a little tricky for me. I've never had a tank with a refugium before, and I'm not sure how to do it without any equipment showing.

If I can get some ideas on tanks and refugium I can try to figure out the rest myself. And since it's been a few years since I've dabbled with saltwater, I'd also like to know what kind of lights people are using nowadays for something 5 - 10 gallons

Thanks in advance

Why do you have to have a refugium? Its not necessary to have one.

I'd look into the fluval evo 5g or 13.5. They aren't cube but also have no black background, come with lights which are good for lps and softies, and its all in one.

null

21 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Why do you have to have a refugium? Its not necessary to have one.

I'd look into the fluval evo 5g or 13.5. They aren't cube but also have no black background, come with lights which are good for lps and softies, and its all in one.

I was thinking a refugium/sump would make cleaning a lot easier than trying to clean the small compartments of an all in one. Also the added water volume helps. I'm not necessarily looking for a cube, I had something like this (https://fragtasticreef.com/ultra-clear-45u-9-3-gallon-17-71x11-02x11-02-uns-rimless-aquarium) in mind.

I don't want equipment to be visible so that's another reason a sump could be nice. But also I don't know how the plumbing would work. So in that regard an aio would make things easier

For that clean look, I would go with an AIO tank and forget about the fuge.  I'm not against refugiums, but it doesn't seem compatible with your goals.

3 hours ago, seabass said:

For that clean look, I would go with an AIO tank and forget about the fuge.  I'm not against refugiums, but it doesn't seem compatible with your goals.

Do you have any tank recommendations? I've been looking at the Fluval Evo 13.5 and that seems like a good option, although it will require a few modifications

I agree with the AIO tanks. Inovative marine has a nice 10 gal AIO tank. There skimmer and reactor fit nicely in the back compartment. Easy as pie to access. . I have the I M fusion 20. I run a maxpect razor LED light. If the wires are bundled and run into the cabinet it's a clean looking set up. The lights are very adjustable. There tank has a mesh lid to keep the jumpers where they belong;)... oh BTW I don't work for them. If money is not an issue redsea has some high tech AIO setups... 

1 hour ago, Horsey_Cat said:

Do you have any tank recommendations? I've been looking at the Fluval Evo 13.5 and that seems like a good option, although it will require a few modifications

In that general size, jambon's suggestion of an IM Fusion Nano 10 is pretty good.  Really, I think you could be happy with any number of different tanks.  It all depends on what you want (number and type of fish, number and type of inverts, number and type of coral, budget, maintenance costs, physical size, etc).  Personally, I've never owned an AIO tank; but they are often the best choice.

I have an IM10g and a standard with hob filter.

I actually prefer the standard, it runs smoother and far easier to clean. Only downside is you can somewhat see the intake of my filter.

The Im 10g is a nice tank as it hides everything but it will still need upgrades like the fluval except its much more costly of a tank. (Over priced imo)

Stock pump is very weak,  you need the media basket, and you will need to buy lights, and a powerhead. 

I don't work for anyone, I don't push certain products for any particular reason. 

Archived