Cultivated Reef

Could I handle another fish?

shawnyboy66

I have been running a biocube 29 for over a year and am meticulous about filtration. (skimmer, media rack with floss, fuge chamber, BRS dual reactor running GFO in one chamber carbon in other). I am currently housing a clown pair 3 and 1 inches, a 3 inch sixline a 3 inch midas blenny and a 2 inch yellow tail damsel. All of my corals are doing great and I perform a 20% water change once every 2 weeks... Do you think i can handle another nano fish (thinking some sort of bottom dweller)? I have had the same inhabitants for over a year and just getting the itch to add something new. Thoughts? 

IMO, I wouldn't add more. And it's not about water quality, it's about the lack of available territory. I'm actually surprised that group is working without aggression. You have several moderately territorial fish in there, it wouldn't surprise me if you start having issues with the current inhabitants as they mature more. 

Ya I figured as much. If they ever started getting aggressive with each other my plan was to give to my neighbor with a 200 gallon. Thanks for the input (I just needed someone to tell me no)

do not smoke the reef(er)
23 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

what about some kind of invert if you want somethibg new? I think cleaner shrimp are a lot of fun.

+1 about getting an invert, they have some of the lowest bio footprints and are fun additions to the tank

Or try and get that Yellow tailed damsel out! Haha

Black ray or yasha goby and Randalls pistol shrimp... small bio load, live on bottom and tons of personality... IMHO. They will eat the leftovers so no need to add more at feeding time. It may be pushing your luck a bit though. You may notice a bit more algae growth...

Archived