Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

30L biorb marine tank

Serefsiz

Hi guys,

First of all sorry for my bad english.

09-02 I started with my first marine tank

i started with installing my pump in the aquarium. After I added a heater. Let is cycle for 2 days.

11-02 bought 3kg LS and sand. added some bacteria every 3/4 days.

after like 6/7 days I noticed Very little animals walking over the glass.

21-02 today I started with testing my water quality.

Ammonia - 0

no2 - 0

no3 - 10

ph 8,2

Ive read so many different stories on the web what made me a lil bit confused.

should I start with water changes to lower the no3 or wait?

and can I also start with adding a cleaning crew?

hope u guys can help me

IMG_0259.thumb.JPG.c50c374a10c4d38c0bf80e5c8c6e5e56.JPG

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @Serefsiz! Did you test your water parameters during the cycle process to watch the ammonia spike, then nitrites spike, and now the final step in the cycle of nitrites dropping and nitrates rising? Given the amount of time and and the live sand you added, your cycle may be complete and you can perform a partial water change.

All the critters on your glass are coming from the live sand, it's full of life!

2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome to the community @Serefsiz! Did you test your water parameters during the cycle process to watch the ammonia spike, then nitrites spike, and now the final step in the cycle of nitrites dropping and nitrates rising? Given the amount of time and and the live sand you added, your cycle may be complete and you can perform a partial water change.

All the critters on your glass are coming from the live sand, it's full of life!

Hi Christopher, 

thankyou for your answer, no I did not check the parameters because ive read on most websites there is no point to test the first 2 weeks. Is there a way I can be sure if the cycle is complete?

Christopher Marks

Yeah, with the live sand there it should have been enough to start the cycle, so based on your readings it should be complete, and you can start slowly introducing livestock like some snails or crabs. As long as you do not introduce too much new livestock at once, the denitrifying bacteria will be able to keep the system in balance.

If you want to be absolutely certain your cycle is complete, and you do not mind waiting a few more days, you could introduce a little bit of ammonia to the system by adding a tiny bit of fish food, for example. After a few days then repeat your water test for ammonia and ensure it is zero.

Hi,

See the pictures. Im using bacteria from Colombo. As you can see on the bottle its for start & maintenance.

Ive also upload my tank with daylight & night.

For my feeling its too early for the cycle to complete. And from I have read there had to appear alot more algue.

I have seen lots of copepods ony my glass and a few snails. In my first post u can see one under the pump

E3V26Ie.jpg

q2rzWrJ.jpg

QFCnRtN.jpg

Qh8uYwK.jpg

w3nxPHE.jpg

XgqBMTI.jpg

On 22-2-2017 at 0:13 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Yeah, with the live sand there it should have been enough to start the cycle, so based on your readings it should be complete, and you can start slowly introducing livestock like some snails or crabs. As long as you do not introduce too much new livestock at once, the denitrifying bacteria will be able to keep the system in balance.

If you want to be absolutely certain your cycle is complete, and you do not mind waiting a few more days, you could introduce a little bit of ammonia to the system by adding a tiny bit of fish food, for example. After a few days then repeat your water test for ammonia and ensure it is zero.

Yesterday ive add some fish food to the tank.

hiw many days would you advice to wait before testing?

On 24-2-2017 at 11:25 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates on Sunday.

Hey Chris,

Yesterday I have tested the water again after adding some food on wednesday.

Results:

Ammonia:0

Nitrite:0

Nitrate between 20-50(I think around 30)

Today I did my first water change. Around 20%.

After water change I tested again.

PH:8,2

Ammonia:0

Nitrite:0

Nitrate: 10-20

I guess its time to add cleaning crew members? What would you guys advice.

Was thinking about a turbo snail or a hermit crab.

Christopher Marks

Looks like your cycle is complete! I think that's a great idea to start your cleanup crew. If you do decide on a crab, be sure it's a type that won't bother any of your future planned livestock. Some types can be aggressive or bother coral.

Have you considered a shrimp of some sort?

Archived