Cultivated Reef

Power Failure Alert

Sherman

How you get alert if there is a power failure to your reef tank?

I read that isocket can do the job by sending an sms to you if a power to your tank is disrupt.

But sms need 2G network.

If there is no 2G network, are there alert system or garget on market beside Apex.

Not all of us using Apex controller

Christopher Marks

The latest one uses a 3G network it looks like, is service poor in your area? I haven't heard of the iSocket before, pretty neat device. https://www.isocket3g.com/us/

There are power failure sensors and alarms like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-Corporation-THP111-SoniCord/dp/B00AHTWLDS/ but you'd have to be present during the outage to know.

This is the only other device I can find that will send out SMS alerts, it's tied to Verizon's service for $49/ year: http://www.pumpalarm.com/power-failure-alarm/

But sms need 2G network.

There will be no 2G in Singapore coming April. Hence I need to check 

if there are system that can alert us by other method instead of sms

Christopher Marks

I see. That's tough, all other systems seem to be wifi based, but if your power is out, your wifi router will likely be out of power too. Maybe if those are on a battery backup there would be enough time to send an alert over the web?

2G networks are being shut down in the US as well, causing some issues for old 2G cellular notification systems. As this becomes more prevalent, hopefully some new LTE based notification systems are released.

chipmunkofdoom2

Why do you need to be notified in the event of a power outage? I'm not saying that it's not useful, I'm just curious what difference it would make. Whether you're notified or not, your power is out. Instead of focusing on a notification, I'd focus on getting sufficient battery backup systems in place so your tank will be safe for a few hours without you intervening. A Vortech with battery backup will automatically switch over in the event of a power failure, and will at least keep your tank water moving. A DIY system of some sort will power multiple objects.

If you absolutely must have a notification, Christopher's idea is probably the cheapest, backing up the power to your router and having some sort of widget that will send an email when it senses failure. Although, if the outage was caused by weather and knocks out your Internet connection as well (or your Internet is just not working for some reason), you're not going to get the notification.

The only reliable method, in my opinion, is an expensive 3G/4G device, and the associated service costs that come with it. I would much rather spend that money setting up the tank with enough battery capacity to be safe for 12 hours or so. In most cases, outages are much shorter than that in my area, and I'd be able to find a generator within that 12 hours if the outage would last longer.

I agree to try and spring for a battery back up instead. especially since it seems like wifi is going to be an issue.  You can get something like a UPS that will audibly alert when the power goes for about 10 minutes but like the previous poster said, that doesn't really help you without any back up power anyways. 

18 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I see. That's tough, all other systems seem to be wifi based, but if your power is out, your wifi router will likely be out of power too. Maybe if those are on a battery backup there would be enough time to send an alert over the web?

2G networks are being shut down in the US as well, causing some issues for old 2G cellular notification systems. As this becomes more prevalent, hopefully some new LTE based notification systems are released.

Like to confirm email alert system is based on wifi. If it is a battery backup at the router will support a notification  temporaily till you get someone to check what actually cause the power trip.

This is good when you are away on business trip or short holiday

13 hours ago, chipmunkofdoom2 said:

Why do you need to be notified in the event of a power outage? I'm not saying that it's not useful, I'm just curious what difference it would make. Whether you're notified or not, your power is out. Instead of focusing on a notification, I'd focus on getting sufficient battery backup systems in place so your tank will be safe for a few hours without you intervening. A Vortech with battery backup will automatically switch over in the event of a power failure, and will at least keep your tank water moving. A DIY system of some sort will power multiple objects.

If you absolutely must have a notification, Christopher's idea is probably the cheapest, backing up the power to your router and having some sort of widget that will send an email when it senses failure. Although, if the outage was caused by weather and knocks out your Internet connection as well (or your Internet is just not working for some reason), you're not going to get the notification.

The only reliable method, in my opinion, is an expensive 3G/4G device, and the associated service costs that come with it. I would much rather spend that money setting up the tank with enough battery capacity to be safe for 12 hours or so. In most cases, outages are much shorter than that in my area, and I'd be able to find a generator within that 12 hours if the outage would last longer.

Hi Chipmumkofdoom2 sometime a pump or some other items in the system may have cause a  power outrage. 

If there is a notification in such event  especially when you are not at sites at least you can get help from someone

at site to help check what is happening. Remove or shut down the faulty ietms and reset the whole tank back.

I like your idea of a backup system. This actually will help to move water case of power outrage. But will be quite limited if we just use an ecotech

backup battery. 

chipmunkofdoom2
3 minutes ago, Sherman said:

Hi Chipmumkofdoom2 sometime a pump or some other items in the system may have cause a  power outrage.

Do you mean that you would like to know when a pump or other piece of equipment fails? This is going to be very difficult to do, and basically requires a controller. Or did you mean that a pump or something might trip a circuit breaker and cut off power to the entire tank?

A Vortech battery backup was just one example of battery redundancy. Another example is a DIY system. My system uses a deep cycle battery. I attach a battery maintainer/charger to the battery and leave it connected and maintaining at all times. I connect that battery to an inverter. I plug the inverter into a transfer switch much like this one. I plug the other end of the switch into the wall. Then, I plug my aquarium equipment into the output of the transfer switch. The transfer switch runs the aquarium equipment on the power from the wall when the power is on. Then, when the power fails, it switches over to the inverter, and runs everything off the battery. Once the power comes back on, the switch transfers the load over to the utility again. Because your battery maintainer is still attached to the battery, it starts charging it up again as soon as the power comes back on. The beauty of this system is you can scale it up to any size. If you want to buy enough battery power to last for a week you could (although it would be very expensive). Although 3G/4G notifications are also going to be expensive as well.

You will ultimately have to decide what works best for your situation. Personally, I would have between 12 hours and 24 hours of backup battery capacity, be it a Vortech or DIY system. This will get you through most immediate issues and give you time to determine how to maintain life support if power will be out longer than that. If you're going to be gone for longer than a day or so, I'd have a tank sitter show up to just double check on things. It's going to be impossible to plan for every potential eventuality if you have limited resources (and honestly, everyone does). The best solution IMO is to plan for as many of the common failures as you can, and have human or procedural controls in place to plan for the very unlikely scenarios.

When there is a power outrage when you are not home you want to be notify so that you can get help from friends or neighbours to help to look into the problem.

That is my intention.

When a pump or other piece of equipment fails and cause power outrage to your aquarium you want to isolate the faulty item  first before  power reset.

A backup system is good if there is actual power outrage in your building or area you live.

I like your power backup buiild . Do you have a thread on how to build ?

Archived