inTank Media Baskets

Hammer flattening out?

telsonman

Last week my hammer was acting funny. It wasn't looking like a hammer. It flattened out and appeared to open up, like a flower would. Its mouth was just there on top, and there was hardly any polyp extension. The frogspawn that is about 8 inches away didn't have a hiccup. It is acting fine now. It has brought its polyps in covered the mouth. I haven't ever seen it like this before. I showed my local fish shop didn't have a clue either. I did a 20% water change Saturday, and it started looking better then next day. I brought my salinity up .001, so maybe that was it. Everything else is hunky dory.

6B555F0A-5530-429C-A386-7187CF76891C_zps

0DA87290-C7C3-4B70-A678-3BD96CFE974F_zps

Maybe it's stretching to get more light? Maybe it's growing wider before splitting upwards? That's so freaky looking... Maybe it's also saying 'feed me' and opening wide?

ReefSafeSolutions

I've seen one of my hammers do that before...check your Alk. My LPS got smoked in my last tank from Alk dropping way too low. They started out by looking exactly like that. The hammer polyps were all short and weird looking like yours.

Not saying this is the problem for sure, but worth checking out.

ReefSafeSolutions
On February 14, 2017 at 6:33 PM, telsonman said:

My alk is right at 10

If it swings it can cause problems.  You said after a water change it went back to normal, might be worth checking the Alk every few days to make sure it doesn't drop a lot before your regular water changes.

I only mention this because I lost a lot of euphyllia and hate seeing it happen to others.  If your Alk stays constant that would be fantastic!

ReefSafeSolutions

That's great news!  Sounds to me then like the hammer was being a hammer...they do weird stuff sometimes for no apparent reason.  My hammers did weird stuff for a very apparent reason, but by the time I caught it, it was too late.

Some of my current hammers will stay closed up for three days and then suddenly come back to normal.

Archived