Coral Vue Hydros

IM 20 upgraded pump question

evodrgn@

Not quite sure if I should be posting this in the AIO section or in the equipment section so mods feel free to move this thread if need be

This is my first AIO tank after taking an eight year break from the hobby and after reading about how so many have upgraded the nuvo 20's return pump I decided to do the same. I upgraded to the SIcce silent 1.0 pump and noticed that the middle chamber for the return has dropped dramatically as compared to when I was running the stock pump. I'm also running two spinstreams on the pump too. Is the return chamber suppose to be way lower that the other side chambers or am I doing something completely wrong?

I've also read that people replace the stock pump with two separate return pumps but I have no experience with AIO and have never seen the back of any of the tanks that others have set up before.

I've attached three images to try and show the difference in water level that I'm trying to describe. I've actually turned the flow down a little past halfway on the pump and it sits at about the same level as it does when the pump is on full blast.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

post-47200-0-36507200-1486967548_thumb.jpg

post-47200-0-03374000-1486967557_thumb.jpg

post-47200-0-09344400-1486967568_thumb.jpg

It's pumping water out faster than your old pump and the other chambers haven't changed their flow rate (draining to the return area at the same rate) hence a lower level in that chamber.

Two potential solutions. Add more water to the tank overall. This can help speed up drainage to the middle section and keep your return area at a proper level. Second, alter your intake chambers to provide for speedier flow (a little less poly floss, etc.) What will likely be effective is a little bit of both of those suggestions.

I don't see an ATO in your photos. Are you running one? If not, this would be another consideration that would help for many reasons.

Finally, to run two pumps in that setup, you simply take out the Y line that currently exists and replace it with two pumps and two lines connected directly to each return. Some folks have also modified to hook one to a reactor and then return to tank. Honestly, until you have the water level worked out, the only thing two pumps will do is dry out that section even further.

Hope that all makes sense.

Best,

Denise

Archived