Pod Your Reef

Best skimmer for 29g BioCube

stevemaxwellrn

stevemaxwellrn

Hello,

I have a 29g BioCube that's been up for over 2 years, but suddenly I'm having some bubble algae issues. All the inhabitants are original inhabitants (1 coral beauty, 1 common clown, 1 photon clown (lied...this one is kinda new as a replacement for a lost fish), 1 Kauderns, 1 exquisite firefish, 1 serpent star, 1 tuxedo urchin, 1 emerald crab (lied again...this guy was added a couple months ago), various snails (reduced population...crab might be picking them off?), and various corals. Like I said, I just started having a bubble algae problem a few months ago. I realized I'm probably a tad overstocked and I'm probably a little heavy handed on the feeds, but no more so than when I first got the tank.

Anyway...In chamber 2 I have an intank media basket with purigen, chemipure elite and some filter material. I also have a Comline DOC Skimmer 9001 (Tunze) in there. Is there a better/more powerful skimmer that will fit back there with the filter basket?

Thanks!

1st off, I am newish, but it almost looks like u might be overstocked with fish. That aside, I have some Bubble Algae and I just recently added 3 Emerald Crabs. (4 days ago).

I am Running an Aquamaxx HOB_1 in my rear chamber of my JBJ Nano-Cube (28 G) and it is doing a good job.

TBH, IDK anything about the Skimmer u mentioned.

I prefer the Aquaticlife 115 in chamber 1 as the water level in that chamber is constant leading to more consistent skimming. As far as nano skimmers go, it has performed well for me. If you are looking at options for chamber 2, with a little modification of the rear maintenance hatch, the Ice Cap K2-50 can work. See this thread...

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/372180-ice-cap-k2-50-skimmer-in-a-bc29/

Archived