inTank Media Baskets

Bluehead Wrasse and Flame Angelfish?

T2o

My friend is starting a 6-foot-long 125-gallon tank. He said he's really interested in keeping a male bluehead wrasse and a flame angelfish together. He asked me what other fish are good. And since I just started a nano tank myself, I suggested he add the same fish I added: green chromis and ocellaris clownfish.

Following the 1 inch of fish for every 2.5 gallons of water guideline, is it good to have 7 green chromis, 2 ocellaris clownfish, 1 bluehead wrasse, and 1 flame angel, bioload-wise? Should the stocking order be chromis, ocellaris, bluehead, and finally flame? Or should bluehead and flame switch places?

the fish per gallon rule is pretty dated. There are other things to consider like filtration, swimmig space, etc. He could keep a lot more than what you've suggested in a 125.

Personally, I would ditch the chromis and do more wrasses. Wrasses are bright, colorful, generally peaceful with each other (like fairies, flashers, and possums) and open active swimmers. I would also suggest a rabbitfish or foxface they are hardy and lots of fun, just mind the spines when moving them. Of he likes tangs, thats a possibility too depending on it. He has a large amount to choose from that we (nano folks) don't, both in size and quantity. Like I said, other factors play into it as well though like a skimmer and other filtration that will determine bioload.

the fish per gallon rule is pretty dated. There are other things to consider like filtration, swimmig space, etc. He could keep a lot more than what you've suggested in a 125.

Personally, I would ditch the chromis and do more wrasses. Wrasses are bright, colorful, generally peaceful with each other (like fairies, flashers, and possums) and open active swimmers. I would also suggest a rabbitfish or foxface they are hardy and lots of fun, just mind the spines when moving them. Of he likes tangs, thats a possibility too depending on it. He has a large amount to choose from that we (nano folks) don't, both in size and quantity. Like I said, other factors play into it as well though like a skimmer and other filtration that will determine bioload.

I do remember that he doesn't like tangs too much, so he probably won't add those. Wrasses are a good idea, the bluehead won't be by itself. So is the bluehead wrasse or the flame angelfish more aggressive?

Michael_Price

I do remember that he doesn't like tangs too much, so he probably won't add those. Wrasses are a good idea, the bluehead won't be by itself. So is the bluehead wrasse or the flame angelfish more aggressive?

If he wants schooling fish, I would go with some Anthias (3 or 4) They come in an array of colors, and are open swimmers. and in that size tank you could still put in quite a few more fish.

anthias.jpg

65adff350692a4ffd8c5744246bc618d.jpg

If he wants schooling fish, I would go with some Anthias (3 or 4) They come in an array of colors, and are open swimmers. and in that size tank you could still put in quite a few more fish.

Thanks for the advice. They seem to be colorful and rather peaceful fish.

Archived