Coral Vue Hydros

AI Hydra 26HD?

bdare

Hey guys,

Looking for a little advice. I have a chance to pick up a lightly used RedSea Max E Series 260 with the AI Hydra 26HD lights.

Are these lights any good? Can I keep SPS? Clams?

Thanks,

Ben

Yes sir, these lights are Great!!!! I have one on my E-170, the smaller version of the 260. The mounting is rock solid and App to controll is super easy to use! I say get it, you won't be disappointed :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question for you Hydra Prime reefers.....I just set up a new RSM E series 260 with the 2 Hydras and my Monti Cap has now turned almost completely grey from a gorgeous electric green in my prior Biocube.  My RBTAs are not happy either, they are dark purple and refuse to bubble like they did before.   I have whites at 25% now blues at 90 UV at 25 with no green/reds at all.  I originally had the whites at the recommended 40%, but since this monti is bleaching out I thought I should tone it down.  The Monti is way down in the bottom third of the tank now, when in the Biocube is was almost at the surface...could it be my whites are not up enough or should I move him way up again?  I am so confused.  All my params are good so its not water chemistry nor current which seems plenty adequate.  What is your lighting advice.

Also about the sponges for filtration, they are becoming the worst feature of the RSM, I am used to doing disposable filter floss every 3 or 4 days which kept my Biocube spotless, have you replaced the sponges or are you still using it?  Thanks and sorry for the hijack!

11 hours ago, SquishyFishy said:

I have a question for you Hydra Prime reefers.....I just set up a new RSM E series 260 with the 2 Hydras and my Monti Cap has now turned almost completely grey from a gorgeous electric green in my prior Biocube.  My RBTAs are not happy either, they are dark purple and refuse to bubble like they did before.   I have whites at 25% now blues at 90 UV at 25 with no green/reds at all.  I originally had the whites at the recommended 40%, but since this monti is bleaching out I thought I should tone it down.  The Monti is way down in the bottom third of the tank now, when in the Biocube is was almost at the surface...could it be my whites are not up enough or should I move him way up again?  I am so confused.  All my params are good so its not water chemistry nor current which seems plenty adequate.  What is your lighting advice.

Also about the sponges for filtration, they are becoming the worst feature of the RSM, I am used to doing disposable filter floss every 3 or 4 days which kept my Biocube spotless, have you replaced the sponges or are you still using it?  Thanks and sorry for the hijack!

What was the lighting prior to the Hydra?  The move to two Hydra 26HD was likely a big shock if your prior lighting was just stock Biocube LEDs.   Each Hydra 26 unit can use up to 90W of power, and the PAR inches below the pucks are 300+.  The Biocube LEDs have only 80ish PAR right under the lights.

Blue at 90% is also pretty intense. I'd lower that too and then gradually increase.

SquishyFishy

Nope I had retro'd the Biocube hood with Dave's Nano Box Duo, the lights in that tank were perfect.  Of course I don't have a par meter.

I had everything lower at one point and they were all closing up...so I upped the blues and reduced the whites.

I would recommend this thread to read for you. The last few pages have complete settings as well as a good background as to why they are like that! Good luck!

shaneandjohn

Read thru the thread posted above, It is a Great educational read.   

I am currently running my Hydra at 50% @ 17K . I have my Red Monte on the top 1/3 of the tank and it is growing with great color. Remember that I got this as a running system, so the Monte came with the tank, otherwise I would not have it. This tank is a Softy themed tank. 

I am Not a fan of the Black Sponge that came with the tank. The only thing I use is Filter floss in my Basket, Not the stock one. The stock basket is Junk, so it got replaced with an InTank basket. 

As stated above, you can Not compare the intensity of the Hydra and a Retro fit unit with out an actual par test. 

7 minutes ago, SquishyFishy said:

thanks so much Bowen!  I'm reading it now....could it be my Monti needs more intensity??  WOW

I dont know about the intensity... I would try to lower it down a bit first just to make sure you dont bake it. Hope the best for you

Archived