inTank Media Baskets

Reef Fusion?

telsonman

I have a biocube 32, and I'm just wanting to make sure my levels stay good. One of the guys at my local shop was talking about the Seachem Reef Fusion 1 & 2, saying that it will get the job done. Its not as good as some other things, but it will serve its purpose, especially in a nano tank.

Does anyone have any insight on this stuff?

It works (if you need it).

The question you should ask is do you need it and how much.

Generally I ask my self the questions below:

1) What corals are currently stocked in my tank and how much?

2) What are the parameters (Alkalinity and Calcium) just after doing a water change?

3) What are the parameters (Alkalinity and Calcium) just before doing the next water change?

4) How long did I want to do a water change? (you'll want at least a week in-between)

5) What supplements did I add between water changes and how much of each? (if your tank is new none would be best to take a baseline measurement)

6) What are my parameters (Alkalinity and Calcium) just before doing your next water change?

Collection those data points then allows you to do math to see how much of Fusion 1 & 2 you should be adding, if any. Magnesium is also helpful to measure but not quite as important. If you have those measurements I could help you out with the math part.

Note that you'll periodically need to make changes if your adding corals that consume them or see a significant amount of growth. But generally once you have a baseline your set for a while.

I was curious because my hammer coral has not been coming out like is was a few days ago. It isn't fully retracted, but its only out maybe a quarter to a half inch. I checked my water yesterday. The only thing I didn't like was my phosphates are at 0.25. I decided to check this because I saw a bunch of algae growth. Would that cause the hammer to retract some?

like phill said, you should never just blindly dose your tank. Once you do the above, you should know exactly what to dose and not run the risk of over dosing.

Never blindly dose a tank, that will cause fluctuations which is a problem.

You need to determine what your tank is using and how often to properly dose. That means a lot of testing.

Test 2 hrs after waterchange

Test next day (around the same time)

You keep testing daily until there is a change in numbers.

Then dose accordingly.

Some tanks use up daily, some every 2 days, some every 4. Until you know ehat your tank is using up, I wouldn't dose

Archived