Pod Your Reef

Tunze Nanostream 6040

Slayer33

Hi All,

So I picked up a Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6040 the other day, its still in the box. I bought it for my Fluval 13.5 gallon tank. I wanted something with more control and a more compact footprint in my tank.

It's replacing a Hydor Nano 425.. I'll want to set it up to pulse between 100-350gph to give a more random flow to my tank.

The thing that makes me hesitant on putting it in is that it doesn't have a screen to cover the prop.. I have 2 small clowns and 1 trochus snail that is very adventurous.. I'd hate for either of these things to get "processed" by the prop.. I don't think the clowns would go into it.. but I'd hate for them to

Just wondering if anyone has seen or done any mods to this powerhead to cover the prop without affecting the performance of it?

Hi, I have the same pump. As long as you don't use long pulse intervals (like 10 secs) while the "pulse power" is off, there won't be a problem. Pulsing alternatively is the key, in this way even the asterinas don't climb on it.

Hello! I too have this pump, and one of the great features it offers, is that the pump is programmed to shut off in the case of an obstruction (and lack of water too). Hopefully that adds some piece of mind! :)

I've never had anything go inside mine. As mentioned there's a emergency stop feature that is surprisingly sensitive. When water is flowing nothing can get close without getting blown away. A snail will eat algae around the rim but nothing has ever been hurt.

Great powerhead! My fav other than my gyre. Had it for over a year and nothing ever entered the propeller. Like said above. If it never turns off you will have no issues. I ran mine 50% on and then off and still nothing went in it.

Well I installed it this evening.. but I couldn't seem to find the right spot for it.. when I finally felt like I did the flow just wasn't circulating around my tank as nicely as the hydor powerhead I had.

The one thing I noticed was that anything above 10% increase in power it would make a noise... Definitely audible when it pulsed.. I tried mounting it vertical first but felt like it really had to be positioned quite low in the tank to be effective.. (I have a fluval sea evo 13.5 gallon). I also tried to mount it sideways... this seemed to work fairly well but again, anything above 10% and it vibrated my tank lid..

Maybe mine is bad? I don't know.. but I've since taken it out and put my hydor nano 425 back in.. not sure what to do.. maybe I'll try again..

If it is a new pump, it does seem like it is pretty loud for the first few days of use; I noticed after about a week the pump is much quieter on all power settings (at least in my experience). The manual also mentions a slight break-in period

• 2 months later...

Archived