Cultivated Reef

i really need help deciding what to get, used RSMC250 vs IM AIO

Noonan

I haven't had a tank in a while and I am looking to get back into it. I have a few options as far as tanks go. I can get a used Red Sea C250, it's a 65 gallon and it comes with the stand. Also included are the 2 return pumps, skimmer and skimmer pump, hood/lighting/fans. I would need to replace the lighting, and I would probably get a Hydra or 2 and the hood would come off. I also think I would get new return pumps. The tank has some scratches on the front corners, which are usually a pain in the ass to clean as it is curved glass. The plus sides of this tank for me is the size.

For the same cost I could get a brand new Innovative 20 gallon drop off tank or a 30-40 gallon AIO without a stand. I would of course need a Hydra for this as well. The plus sides of this tank for me is that it's brand new. I have had IM tanks before and I liked the way they worked. I also really like the idea of a drop off tank if thats what I were to get, but I am kind of let down by its size.

To Sum Up: 65 gallon Red Sea with stand, need return pumps and lighting, tank has some scratches in corners VS brand new (but smaller) Innovative 20 gallon drop off/30/40 gallon AIO would need to get a stand as well as lighting. Both options are around the same cost.

Which do you think is the best option? I am wondering if I am limited to only buying Red Sea return pumps and skimmers, or can I fit another brand/size return pump back there as well as maybe a Aquamaxx HOB skimmer? That would be an ideal setup for me-- minus the scratches.

Archived