inTank Media Baskets

Starting out using life rock (caribsea)

edekgb

My lfs sold me about 11 pounds of "life" rock and said it could be as quick as 1 week to cycle new tank using this rock. I thought maybe realistically giving it two weeks and then taking it in to get the water tested. Has anyone had experience with the rock to start a new tank. The purple color looks good but does it really take a week or two to cycle the tank?

Also when my 10 gallon is ready for fish in a FOWLR do you think a small clown fish, a yellow clown goby, and a fire fish are to much. I can drop one of my wishlist if I had to but don't really want to - let me know

burtbollinger

there is allegedly bacteria on this rock, but I cant imagine not doing a real cycle on it, using ammonia + some sort of bacteria....thats what I'd do anyway.

3 fish is too many for the 10.

I've used the rock in an existing tank, its nice rock.

There is bacteria injected into it that becomes active once its in water.

I believe BRS has videos on youtube regarding the rock.

I know through searching the Web, many have used it starting off.

As for fish in a 10g. Ppl have had 2 clowns and goby in them. I personally wouldn't.

I'd start with 2 and see if your system can handle it.

thanks guys - im on week 2 since start up - i go on vacation on the first week of march so maybe i will just wait till i get back and then put fish in mid march - clown and yellow clown gob.

would you guys put a little bit of mysis shrimp in every now and then during this wait period? how bout water changes?

You'll have to google cycling with it, there are alot of users but any search on here didn't show many.

I read alot of ppl using it before i did but not on nano

• 4 weeks later...

Well I couldn't wait till mid march to start stocking my JBJ 10 gallon rimless desktop! I took my water to get tested at 2 different LFS and they said my water was good to go if I wanted to start adding livestock now.  I ended up getting a clown fish and fire fish. I got 10 snails (5 margaritas and 5 asterias).

I purchased an upgrade to lighting and went with the Kessil A80 - I like it, it has a really nice shimmer.  I also purchased 2 hydor coralia pumps - size 240 and 425 and put them at each end of the tank near the bottom.  I am going bare bottom so no sand but just over 10 lbs of rock. I ordered a wave maker from hydor last night but I know the it won't make nice waves like my old ecotech mp40.  I purchased the hydor pumps and wavemaker to get better flow because the jbj AIO has only a 76 gph pump.  All of this leads me to what happened yesterday and why I ordered the wavemaker and bought the Kessil.

There was an event here in Denver yesterday called ReefStock and I found many interesting LPS corals and bought things like Euphyllias, Zoas, and Star Polyps.  The trade show at a convention center was really cool.  So besides sharing my new start up, the question I have for you guys is... should I get an AC70 for this tank and put things like chemi pure elite, purigen, and phos guard in the hob? Or skip the Aqua Clear and just do like 10? 20? 30? percent water changes?? I want to protect the money I have spent in corals but is this overboard?  I would rather not have another thing to maintain or chance having something go wrong with in my new apartment (water damage due to faulty hob).  I would get an AC70 if you guys strongly recommend it for chemi pure or seachem products but I don't think I really need it for added flow.

Thanks in advance for the advice - I have had many big saltwater tanks but this is my first nano tank like this and I am excited.

You could have gotten the jebao sw-2 wavemaker, its great and comes with a controller. It was $70 cdn. 

I have run hobs on my tanks. I never go much bigger. In my 15g my filter is good for 30g as I'm only using it for certain media.

I use filter floss changed 2 times a week

Matrix carbon- rinsed weekly and changed every 3 weeks

Phosguard- small amounts only as needed

Purigen

• 1 month later...

I have a similar setup with my tank.  Just curious, are you using the stock filter that came with the tank?  Mine and others I have read just collected detritus and didn't do a whole lot.  I switched mine to heater, filter pad, rox .8 carbon and gfo.  I also use a half-gyre with the xf-130 plus endcap.  Its a bit expensive so you could probably do what you are doing if you want.  Other than carbon, I would wait to put any other media in for a month or two.  Doing that will allow small life and microfauna to grow.  I do a 50% water change every week with water from an ro/di filter I have. (I wouldn't change the water the first month)  Happy reefing and let us know how it goes!

Archived