Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Low PH high Alk

B_Dawk5

need some help on what to do here I have a 32 gal Biocube that's been up and running for about 3 months. I've been using RO water with instant ocean reef crystals . My Ph is around 7.7 Thanks for the help

post-92879-0-65645300-1485966178_thumb.jpg

Yes it's. Closed I try and open it each night. I just got off the phone with an LFS that said try dosing magnesium to balance the levels back out ? I'm thinking I got a bad batch of salt and considering doing a 100% water change

Oh, wow, I thought that was '1600', not '1000'. I agree that it should be higher, but it's not going to raise pH on its own; it'll just allow more calcium and alkalinity in suspension for corals to use.

Do you have a pH test at home? Maybe the sample brought in to the LFS had low oxygen, or maybe pH was tested during 'lights out' when pH tends to drop for the night?

I do have a test for ph at home in which I received the same results. Both times the test was conducted during the afternoon yielding same results

7.7 is not that bad, ph is one of those parameter that you don't have to be spot on. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's probably because of the close lid. You can always get rid of the lid and upgrade lights so you can have an open top and increase surface agitation.. but it's not necessary,

First thing I would do is make a new batch of water with the salt that you got and do a test on it. See what the parameters are and then decide whether you got a bad batch and go from there. The only concern at the moment is taking care of dkh and ur mag.

I'd be more concerned with the 14dkh and 1000 mag than ph.

Ph fluctuates throughout the day, its effected by photosynthesis..i wouldn't chase it.

Increasing surface agitation and having the tank open is always beneficial.

Archived