inTank Media Baskets

crazy aquaculture styles?

Lypto

I've been seeing a lot of attention given to the restoration of wild acropora via pvc trees hanging colonies like neat little ornaments,and I was wondering if anyone here has tried somthing like that. Anything weird, wild and unusual like growing corals upside down or lighting from the side...

I remember seeing someone on another forum growing colonies from hanging frags, He got baseball sized colonies in a year from a tiny little piece.

lets see your tanks!

Yesterday I was thinking about making on piece of rock that would 'float' in the middle of the tank, like a planet in mid water.

The 'planet' would rotate instead of using traditional flow and growing corals on all the surface.

I've been thinking alot about non traditional aquascapes and single or twin colour coral tanks.

RIP Sebastian

I've been seeing a lot of attention given to the restoration of wild acropora via pvc trees hanging colonies like neat little ornaments,and I was wondering if anyone here has tried somthing like that. Anything weird, wild and unusual like growing corals upside down or lighting from the side...

I remember seeing someone on another forum growing colonies from hanging frags, He got baseball sized colonies in a year from a tiny little piece.

lets see your tanks!

There is a guy on RC who hangs acro frags by fishing line in his anemone tank.

greamevw,I had the exact same thought,with lighting on all sides (except front/sides) to stimulate corals to grow out now up. It would be cool to see a tank filled with little species centric globes,like one for xenia, one for hard corals, one for euyphillias and Pederson's nem shrimp,and maybe a pure rock nem one. that would be so cool. and with fairy goby's and porcelain crabs... I think I have a use for that tank I have gathering dust...

*edit* the lighting on all sides would allow it to remain fixed, though it would be awesome to see a new reef face every time you look at it and It might be worth it for the novelty alone. the coral growth would be interesting

My thought was to rotate it clockwise so the bottom wasnt it permanent shade.

Doubt ill ever do it though, im only 1 month into my first salt tank so lots to learn yet.

haha, sounds funny, all I can think of is a poor little hermit going round and round... I actually just built a Kreisiel tank for jellies that makes a circular flow,maybe when I stop with the jellies I'll use two 165 watt LEDs on top and bottom to see what its like. sounds like it could be really cool, If any of you has seen the E3 tank it's a little like that. I wonder if the stony corals will have an easier time than the softies.

I was thinking a more fixed rockscape, like a sphere, hollow on the inside held up by fishing line or something

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived