Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reef saver dry rock?

DAY1995

Starting up my 29 gal biocube again for the second time. Wanting to get live arg. Sand and dry reef saver white Rock and dry reef saver coraline rock. Is this OK to mix the dry rock with live sand while the tank cycles? Any cons or problems with reef saver rock? Any opinions appreciated.

Yea it is OK to mix them. The live rock will act as a seed and coraline algae will soon cover all rocks in your tank.

Depending how much organic decomposition is happening in your live rock, you may have to dose ammonia to start the cycle.

Pro's:

much lower cost

Easier to aquascape when you don't have to worry about die off

Reef friendly

Less possibility of pest hitchhiker

Cons:

Takes more time to cycle

Takes more time for coraline to cover rocks

Starting up my 29 gal biocube again for the second time. Wanting to get live arg. Sand and dry reef saver white Rock and dry reef saver coraline rock. Is this OK to mix the dry rock with live sand while the tank cycles? Any cons or problems with reef saver rock? Any opinions appreciated.

Started my tank with all reefsaver rock (BRS) and dead sand (Tropic Eden). Tank was started with Dr. Tim's on March 30th and cycle was completed on April 15th. Relatively quick for a cycle.

First signs of coralline showed up in June after the addition of some snails with it on their shells and slowly covered everything up. Rocks took 6 months to be coated which isn't bad at all. Having coralline is great on the rocks but it also shows up everywhere else, including the overflow boxes, glass, and just about anything plastic, including the rack.

Its fine to mix them, but in my experience it took awhile for the rocks to achieve a similar color, so for the first 5-6 months it didn't look that great.

I personally was not a huge fan of BRS reef saver rock. My preferred rock is: http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Eco_Rock_Dry_Live_Rock_Dry_Rock_for_Saltwater_Reef_Aquariums-AquaMaxx-UJ21010-FISSLR-vi.html

And

https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/rock

flatlandreefer

I have reef-saver, no problems with it and I think it looks nice. I think if i did things over again I would have gone with with the dry pukani because it has more holes in it for things to hide and places to stick frag plugs but overall I am happy.

+1 for the dry pukani from BRS and check the thread in the BRS-specific section on the life rock that's been flaking before you make a decision. BRS also has some good videos on the various levels of porosity of their rock which helped inform my decision.

Archived