Top Shelf Aquatics

Live rock

Novas2017

I understand harvesting live rock from the ocean is bad. But suppose I collect small pieces from the beach, could I still use it in my tank after quarantine and cycling?

I wouldn't collect anything from the beach, the beach zone will have the highest levels of pollutants, there is also a legality issue, it may not be legal to do so depending on where you live.

Buy live rock from a reputable source lots of ocean cultured options that are friendly to the environment, or dry rock/tank cultured rock, but you get the best bio diversity (and possible pests) from rock that was cultured in the ocean. Really depends what your going for and preferences.

The main problem is pollutants specially from agricultural and horticultural nutrient / pesticide run offs from rivers coasts are where it's really polluted.

Theirs no legality issue (go out at night with a pick) jk

Dry rock is my perferance and get a cheap bottle of bio spira (bacteria bio diversity solved) and no pests.

If you really want to go get some give it a bleach bath then wash it really well and dry it for a couple of weeks.

It's probbly easier to go get some dry rock.

I had a few pieces of small liverock and dried coral from the ocean.

I did a vinegar bath and used them but they are small pieces.

Many advised it was fine as long as they were cleaned.

Archived