inTank Media Baskets

Lighting for 30 gal

Zac

I was just woundering if 4x55watt cf will be enough light for my new 30 gal tank. Now I know that that only amounts to about 7.3 w/gal but the tank is only 16" deep so light intensity should still remain pretty high, right? The tank is 18" wide which will allow the mounting of the 4- 4" reflectors side by side with space between. The lights will be placed at most 3" from the waters sufrface, just for reference.

Also would 2 3" fans mounted at each end of the canopy be enough for cooling of the lights w/o heating the water too much?

Thanks,

Zac :)

B) who needs a tanning salon?

oooh yeah, i would say that's enough light, mmhmm. the old NO rule of thumb was 5 watts per gallon for a high setting! pc's are vho-level, roughly 3x NO (>22w/gal, hot hot!)

the fans will help the fixture keep cool but you may need something for the water (iceprobe floor, fan pointed at the tank, ac set to freeze, etc.). good luck! ;)

Man that is plenty of lighting for that size tank, you will probably be able to do SPS, and be able t o give clams a shot if your water parameters are right. As for the fans, I think those sound pretty good, just keep a close eye on the temp at first, and if need be, it is not expensive or too difficult to add another fan. Post some pics once you get the new sun glowin.

all sounds 'cushty' to me too, no worries there, sun tan should pick up quick aswell !! no really, bout right me thinks,

cheers, lee :)

Archived