Top Shelf Aquatics

sick brain coral?

beckalexis

I recently bought a red brain coral that was slightly bleached to a light pink and light green. The store clerk told me that it would regain its color. However, it is tottaly white now and I am unsure if it is dead, dieing, or will regain its color. All of my levels are fine. Any sugestions?

take it back and punch him in the head.

Tell him I called him a dousche fer selling U a bleaching coral. its probaly dude to too much light after shipping, or not enough what did the LFS (and U) have it under fer lighting and EXACTALY what species of brain is it?

EDIT If its a red wellosphylia open brain... I just lost one of mine too, so wack him double Ill take the rap !

Never buy an unhealthy-looking coral unless you're fully prepared to see it die. I do a lot of shoping from my LFS's "almost dead" tank, and have nursed a lot of them back to life, but have lost quite a few, too.

That said, I agree with dave, go back there and beat the LFS guy upside the head. Especially if he charged you full price.

However, it may not be too late for the poor little brain. I assume this is an open brain, right? If you're willing to risk polluting your tank a little, I would try to feed it meaty feeds (like brine shrimp) to keep it alive until it can regain its color. If it doesn't already extend its tentacles, you can try to coax them out by shooting a little Selcon at the guy's mouth, or by squiting the "dirty" water you thawed the frozen shrimp it.

Once it opens its mouth or extends tentacles, you can try squirting tiny amounts of the thawed food at the tentacle or into the mouth.

mkramer's right, don't buy sick corals. it just promotes lazy@ss and incompetent lfs's to keep importing corals with little chance of survival. irresponsible collection practices imo. lfs that can keep corals are the only ones that should be allowed to sell them. not all lfs fit that bill unfortunately.

if we keep buying corals (or fish for that matter) from petdumb's and dumbco's they'll just keep importing them and depleting those resources recklessly. don't think you're saving the coral as the lfs is just thinking he's moving merchandise and will just order another one the following week.

don't be afraid to research a potential purchase and don't be too anxious. if the lfs can keep the coral awhile it lets you witness its health and lighting requirements. moving a livestock from 250w mh's w/vho actinic supplements to a 5w/g pc environment or vice versa can shock the animal.

like dave basically says, that jack@ss lfs needs all the brains he can get so he should take this one back. ;)

BRAIN HIM ! BRAIN HIM ! CO WICKKIDDETY WITH THE MACK IN THE SMACK UPON HIS BRAIN PAN !

day ate da babe ! BING !

Just RUN from da Pigs and say it wasnt U... better yet wear some panty hozes over yer mug when U walk in da store..... a nice 10 inch skillet is nice.... Cast iron has a Nice Ring to it once bounced firmly off the skull !

i took the brain back to the guy and scolded him for selling it to me knowing perfectly well it wasnt healthy. But it was dumb of me as well not to know better. lesson learned. He did knock off about $7 when i bought it. That should have tipped me off. I dont know if my coral is still alive. Ill try forrce feeding it with the brine. But how do I know if it is really dead?

That's always my fear. I'm afraid I'll get something that starts looking deathly ill and give up on it too soon because I'm worried about it polluting the tank. On the other hand, I'm afraid I'll wait too long and it'll be a waste of time. It's tough because you can bring some things back from the brink of death, but what exactly is the "brink"? Anyone here know of a good reference that shows when it's too late to save something? Maybe you should put a section about that in your book, Dave? :)

Archived