Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Converting Nanocube to 20H AGA photolog

djtodd

Just got the CPR BakPak2 skimmer. It's nice to have friends who have used equipment for sale!

10.jpg

Right now it's a micro bubble factory, but as it breaks in, I'll be one happy camper!

9.jpg

Originally posted by TiGs

If you use aragonite sand you should immerse it in some old tank water for a couple of days so the aragonite doesn't affect your alkalinity when adding to to your tank.

djtodd, did you run into any issues with your alkalinity just using the sand straight out of the bag? like i said before, i'll be making the same move in the next few days using the same 'dry' aragonite. but your tank seems to be doing fine, so i'd rather skip that step if it wasn't an issue for you. i'll have enough to do as it is....

3gEclipseGuy

Looking good! Did you use the AC150 in your cube? Trying to decide if I want to start using an HOB as fuge. Are you going to get a bigger one?

djtodd, did you run into any issues with your alkalinity just using the sand straight out of the bag? like i said before, i'll be making the same move in the next few days using the same 'dry' aragonite. but your tank seems to be doing fine, so i'd rather skip that step if it wasn't an issue for you. i'll have enough to do as it is....

Jag, If you don't have to skip the step, don't skip it. I'm not having any problems at the moment, other than a diatom bloom, but why beg for trouble? Hey, in a week I may be fighting for the tanks life.

Looking good! Did you use the AC150 in your cube? Trying to decide if I want to start using an HOB as fuge. Are you going to get a bigger one?

Eclipse, I bought the AC150 specifically for the new tank. Just as a powerhead and a place to drop a bag of Purigen. I don't plan on upgrading it or starting a HOB fuge.

your old sand bed wasn't deep enough to cause any issues. No worries.

Tigs, I didn't think it would be. Plus I didn't use the entire bed anyhow. Just a thin coating of the top to help get things moving along.

Obviously I've re-started the cycle in the tank. Hopefully with the Purigen, and the new Skimmer, I'll be able to keep my water parameters AOK for the first crucial month.

As a bit of an update, about 2 week in (over the past weekend) I had to deal with some water quality issues. I had removed the Purigen early on as the stuff is just too damn fine to be put in practically any media bag.

Spent 4 days doing 15% water changes daily, and added a bag of Chemi-Pure instead. Everything seems to be back to normal now, but I think I got a little complacent after about a week.

Remember! After doing something like this keep tabs on your water quality for a while!

Archived