Coral Vue Hydros

2 Simple Questions - Answer them, I know you can

Mnesarchus

Hi, I have two questions.

1. Should I rinse my aragonite (pink fuji reef sand) before adding it to my tank? If so, how would you reccomend I do it?

2. Will saltwater mixed several days earlier still be ok to add to a tank? If so do I have to keep it warm with a heater? Thanks.

No you dont have to rinse the fiji aragonite sand. but if you really feel like it. then go for it..

and yes you can use water stored several days later...IMO it can be stored for up to 2 weeks. just make sure its not getting any lights for algae to grow

printerdown01

1) I say rinse the sand just to be safe... I just got some new sand that "didn't need to be rinsed" I washed a ton of stuff out of it (not only dust, but also a BUNCH of what looked like little leaves, def a terrestrial plant!!!).

I used to wash my sand in a big lid to an old container. But while adding sand to my new fuge I discovered something even easier: a cup. LOL, I know I'm getting more hi-tech by the minute! But honestly the cup was REALLY easy. A) it allowed a nice hight for water. B) there was no need to mix the sand with my hand, cause the preasure from the tap was enough to stir everything up. C)If you turn the cup slightly upside down, and sideways the water will trickle out of the sand surprisingly effeciently!!

2)You can most certainly mix the water a head of time (this will actually be to your benifit, as it will allow the salt to fully disolve). I see no reason to add a heater, but a powerhead may help mix the salt. If it is going to be there more than 3 days or so the powerhead addition would be pointless too in my opinion. Just keep in mind that the specific gravity meeter is calibrated at 78*(I believe this to be the standard calibration temp for aquariums). Although honestly I havn't seen much of a dif in salanity readings when the water is warmed -not to mention the fact that these meters arn't deadly accurate anyway ;).

the sand thats up to u if u want to rinse or not

the water would be ok. when you get your tank up and running its a good idea to premake your water and let it set for a day or to with a pwr head or airstone before adding to the tank anyway. you should never put salt directly in a tank with livestock since it can burn your fish and corals

The Aragonite is up to you, rinse if you really want to, but you will benefit from the really small particles of sand in your tank that would be washed away from your rinsing. I always thought that varying grain sizes is good for your sand.

As far as the water goes, I would suggest a powerhead also to make sure all your salt has dissoved.

BEN

Archived