Innovative Marine Aquariums

Something is wrong with my Anemone. Help please! Is this splitting?

Michael_Price

Michael_Price

So I have had my Anemone for two or theee months and it's been great! But over the past few weeks it has not been eating. And for the past few days it's looked pretty sad. I have not seen it fully inflated in about a week. Yesterday it was half inflated, half not. I got these pictures on my phone this morning when I left for work, I can get more with my canon when I get home if better pictures would help.

Is this what splitting looks like? Or is this what melting/dying looks like? Should I perhaps split it myself, the good from the bad side... advice is appreciated!

Already did two water changes this week just to be safe. One last Sunday, another on Thursday. Is a 30gal tank, I changed 5 gallons each time to be safe. Parameters are good, my other Anemone and clam are happy as are my fish.

This morning.
IMG_4189.jpg
IMG_4190.jpg

Two weeks ago..
IMG_2851.jpg
IMG_2803.jpg

Michael_Price

Were you trying to move him at all? Has he been moving? Has he been expelling anything? If not, let him be.

He has not moved in a few weeks, he has only ever moved the one time. He has only expelled the food I feed him. Within 5 minutes normally. I've tried shrimp, mysis, and silver slides. Won't keep anything for some reason.

Still firmly planted on the rock, not expelling anything else, guess I'm just concerned since I haven't seen him puff up in about a week. I did move my clown to another tank temporarily to let it puff back up. I felt like he was loving it to death lol. That's fine right? I don't think he was helping the situation at all.

RIP Sebastian

He has not moved in a few weeks, he has only ever moved the one time. He has only expelled the food I feed him. Within 5 minutes normally. I've tried shrimp, mysis, and silver slides. Won't keep anything for some reason.

Still firmly planted on the rock, not expelling anything else, guess I'm just concerned since I haven't seen him puff up in about a week. I did move my clown to another tank temporarily to let it puff back up. I felt like he was loving it to death lol. That's fine right? I don't think he was helping the situation at all.

Anemones do commonly "poop"- this is what you are seeing when he expelling food. Feeding anemones is not necessary at all. I feed mine maybe once a week. Anemones are odd little critters. Yours may just be grumpy- mine has been strange like that, too. Just let it be- don't touch the anemone unless it is disintegrating, spilling its guts, or has a severely torn foot.

Nick

Michael_Price

Anemones do commonly "poop"- this is what you are seeing when he expelling food. Feeding anemones is not necessary at all. I feed mine maybe once a week. Anemones are odd little critters. Yours may just be grumpy- mine has been strange like that, too. Just let it be- don't touch the anemone unless it is disintegrating, spilling its guts, or has a severely torn foot.

Nick

Does the left side look like it's desinigrating? I've never seen it look like that before. What are signs of desinigration? The foot looks fine so I don't think there are issues there. Maybe it's just acting up on me.

RIP Sebastian

Does the left side look like it's desinigrating? I've never seen it look like that before. What are signs of desinigration? The foot looks fine so I don't think there are issues there. Maybe it's just acting up on me.

He's just grumpy. Disintegration in nems looks like they are just falling apart.

Michael_Price

He's just grumpy. Disintegration in nems looks like they are just falling apart.

Phew :blink: good to know. I panicked a bit when I saw the small stringy arms. I thought that it might be melting. Hopefully he comes back in the next few days!

Michael_Price

Should I put my clown back in the tank, Or keep him away until its back to Normal?

All nems look like they're dying when they either a) poo or B) split. Just leave it and see which way it goes. And mine did move like a week before it split, trying probably to find that perfect spot to divide.

RIP Sebastian

Should I put my clown back in the tank, Or keep him away until its back to Normal?

Put him back in. If the nem closes when the clown tried to host, then keep an eye on him.

So I have had my Anemone for two or theee months and it's been great! But over the past few weeks it has not been eating. And for the past few days it's looked pretty sad. I have not seen it fully inflated in about a week. Yesterday it was half inflated, half not. I got these pictures on my phone this morning when I left for work, I can get more with my canon when I get home if better pictures would help.

Is this what splitting looks like? Or is this what melting/dying looks like? Should I perhaps split it myself, the good from the bad side... advice is appreciated!

Already did two water changes this week just to be safe. One last Sunday, another on Thursday. Is a 30gal tank, I changed 5 gallons each time to be safe. Parameters are good, my other Anemone and clam are happy as are my fish.

This morning.IMG_4189.jpgIMG_4190.jpg

Two weeks ago..IMG_2851.jpgIMG_2803.jpg

Is that a condy anemone next to the RBTA?

Yes leave everything alone!
Michael_Price

Is that a condy anemone next to the RBTA?

Yes leave everything alone!

Ha ha ok I'll put the clown back in the tank when I get off work. I'm sure he misses his nem. And yes, that is a Condy. Could that be a problem? This is the closest they have been to each other.

Ha ha ok I'll put the clown back in the tank when I get off work. I'm sure he misses his nem. And yes, that is a Condy. Could that be a problem? This is the closest they have been to each other.

Condy anemones can be pretty nasty and they eat fish.
Michael_Price

Condy anemones can be pretty nasty and they eat fish.

I have considered getting rid of it. When I got it, it was a clear white with a greenish glow. So it was ID'd wrong and I thought it was something else. Then after about two weeks in my tank it was nursed back to health and it's true colors came out and I kind of thought, "crap" So far no loses from him. But I don't know if I want it now that I know what it really is. I'd rather have some rock flower anemones in his space.

• 3 weeks later...

How much are you feeding it? Times a week and amount lots of pepole think a nem needs a lot when in truth they don't need much in size of food and only 1 time a month max twice

Archived