ReefCleaners.org

lighting solution for my 10g

reale_02

Hello everyone. I have a 10 gallon fowlr, and was thinking of adding some corals. The corals I plan on getting are some zoo polyps and some mushrooms, just small soft corals, nothing too extravagent. I was told that for these corals i wouldnt need alot of light because power compact may be too bright. i was told by one fish store that i would just need a 50/50 florscent light, which retails for only 30 bucks or so. on the other hand, i was told by another fish place that i would need power compact or another similar light source, and for my tank this light system would cost hundreds of dollars. My question is: which lighting solution would work best in my 10g, if a few small soft corals were to be added?

holyherbiness

Zooanthids and mushrooms are not very light demanding.

What is your existing light fixture?

LFS (local fish stores) are often out to make a sale and to lure you into buying their costly products, often unnecessarily.

Power compacts are not too bright for these corals.

You could get by with about 40 watts minimum, or even less, if all you want are zoos and mushrooms, but they may do better with a little more light.

split the diff. 06 watt power quad form hello lights is only 80 bucks right now. and you can keep just aboiut any coral with that light. BUY GOOD LIGHTS. if you get crappy light you will either kill alot of corals or you will buy new lights later. either way you'll just spend money in the long run. CORALS need good light. 96 watt power quad is the best all around light right now. IMHO.

get a 96watt powerquad, people sell them pretty cheap on this board, and you can keep pretty much anything except sps, and clams

Get a coralife 96w power quad 50/50, love mine. I bought the 1watt blue led moonlight that clips on its real cool at night.

Archived