Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kessil a160we fan issue

Alexervin239

Alexervin239

Hello everyone,

I finally bought the last piece of the puzzle to get my aquarium up and running. I got a kessil a160we, gooseneck, and controller for $240 off Craigslist. The only issue seems to be the fan noise; upon turning the light on it makes a fan whine that isn't overbearing but certainly would keep me from sleeping at night. I'm not sure if this is due to the light's air intakes being clogged or what but I'm a little concerned as I hope I didn't just spend $240 on a broken light. I've contacted kessil but no response yet, Im going to call them in the morning. Has anyone had an issue like this before? Hoping kessil will have a solution cause I'm not sure what it could be.

Yes I had it on my a150we kessils I unscrewed the lens retainer ring and slid the can casing up the cord. I used a can of compressed air and blew the fan and heat sink off and spent time at different angles they hold a lot of crud.

I threw took moist q tips and cleaned out the fan blades wel. Then give it a drip or two of a lightweight oil.

Hope this helps

To take if off the goose neck they are small can't remember after that there are no screws the colored ring unscrews from the can

Alexervin239

I'll see if I can find the screw size in the manual online. What oil did you use and what parts did you use the oil on? Did cleanig it out and using the oil help?

Thanks a lot

Cencalfishguy56

I'll see if I can find the screw size in the manual online. What oil did you use and what parts did you use the oil on? Did cleanig it out and using the oil help?

Thanks a lot

see if it's within warranty range I had my replacement in my hands within 3 days
Alexervin239

Update: called Kessil and found out that the person who originally bought the light registered it online and extended the warranty to two years. They don't normally do third party replacements but they said in this situation they would honor the warranty. That my friends is how you build brand loyalty, any aquarium I setup in the future is going to use Kessil lights.

Alexervin239

This new light I was sent by kessil seems to have quite a bit of fan noise to it as well. It's a lower pitch than the one I had initially but still there. I ordered a mounting arm for the light to see if the extra grip on the light that provides will help at all. The noise goes away and all I hear is the faint sound of the air if I hold the light with my hand and apply light pressure. I am at a loss as to what the issue could be. I'm gonna call kessil and see if they can give me any more information. It's really weird. Anyone have a video of their a160we running to compare the fan noise to mine?

Archived