Cultivated Reef

Fan Question!

Breaker4show

Breaker4show

I need a fan for my 5.5 gallon and was looking around and found one at the local computer store! it was 26cfm's and was 80 mm! It only cost $10! is that powerful to cool off the tank with 2-20 watt bulbs and possibly add another 2-10 watt bulbs ?

thanks,

nick

with fans & cooling it really does come down to trial & error ......obviusly the best way to have fans fitted is to have 2 fans opposing eachother underneath your lighting ....one on either end of your tank , have 1 blowing accross to the otherside & have the other 1 sucking out ......this works by speeding up the evaporation process which inturn cools down the tank .

i use this method in my full size reeftank , but in nano`s with there not being a lot of room its just usually 2 fans sucking out of the hood .....this will remove alot of the heat buildup from the lights .

scott

Get yourself the biggest, cheapest fan you can mount on the canopy (or 2, for that matter). Power them with a power supply that can push the max that the fan takes. Now get yourself a rheostat and wire that in and you have a variable rate fan that you can tweak as needed. In the summer months, or perhaps when your bulbs age and start to warm up a bit (or whatever), you can turn down the rheostat a bit and get your fan moving as higher RPMs - in the winter, turn it up so the fan doesn't cause as much unnecessary evaporation.

Might want to check too if you already did not know. Most computer fans are DC and will need either an old computer power supply or an AC adapter to power them

www.svc.com for all your fan needs :)

they are made for computers, and are 12v DC, but with a DC converter and some simple wiring you can make it work. I currently have a 92mm fan pushing about 117 cfm in my computer case right now, but they come in sized from around 40mm up to 120mm or more. While you are at it, pick up some led's or cold cathode tubes for moonlighting (u can even get them sound activated, haha)

Also check out the bad-ass fan grills :)

Note, pay attention to the dBa (sound level) rating, the higher it is the louder the fan is. That 92mm fan i have pushes about 58 dBa and sounds like a vacuum cleaner. ~20 dBa is basically silent.

Larger fans are generally quieter and push more air than smaller fans (slower rpms = less turbulance).

Their are automatic temp sensing fans that adjust rpms automatically, check product info. Not sure how usefull these would be on a tank though.

Archived