Top Shelf Aquatics

My P@@R Fishy!!

anthony812

Ok, I went away for the weekend for 3 days without anyone watching over my tank, especially with all the new corals that i put in. I had the topoff water all set up with a 6 gallon tank for the RO water. By the time i got home on Monday night,the 6 gallon tank is conpletely emptied! and there were about 1-2" of water gone in my tank!! Then i looked in my tank, My poor baby Blond Naso and my sixline wrasse DIED! aHHHHH! my two favorate fish! As i was putting my hands in the tank to take the whats left of fish out, the water felt so warm..then i realized that my Fan desided to stop over the weekend. The temperature in my tank was at 87 degrees! I rushed out the house and bought a couple more fans back and put ice packs in my refugium to cool the water..Luckily, miracally nothing else died..everything looks happy ??? its so weird..hahaha...Anyhow, just want to share this incident with others. I have to go to a business trip in 2 weeks to DC area for 4 days...what am i going to do? I have idiot friends that have absolutly no idea about fish tanks...I guess i will be using 2 12" fans and another 10 gallon tank for topoff water then.. and cross my fingers...*sigh

with your size tank, i think your gonna need more than 10gallons for an auto top off bucket since your gonna be gone for 2 weeks. Try one of those fat rubermaid buckets. Man, i really like blonde naso tangs, too bad yours died. :o

Man that sucks Anthony. It was really hot here this past weekend which may have been the cause of your mishap. It was around 110 in fullerton on sunday.

Good thing everything else is okay in your tank. I would hate for you to lose all your new additions to the tank.

BEN

BustytheSnowMaam

You don't have ANYONE who could check on your tank? Would an idiot friend be better than no one?

I have a neighbor lady who has no clue about tanks either, but she has some sense. I made a very small black line on the side of my tank w/ permanent marker where the water line should be. I told her that anytime the water went below that line, to add some (and I had jugs of RO water sitting right by the tank).

Tasha

Archived