Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nuvo Fusion 20 - Kessil A80 or AI Prime?

DPRoberts

So, pretty much what the title says...

I'm downsizing my 40B to a Nuvo Fusion 20. I can get a new Kessil A80 or a used AI Prime (not HD) for nearly the same price.

I don't have any SPS (mostly softies, a few zoas), but wouldn't mind the flexibility of being able to grow higher-light corals later if either light supports them. I'd prefer one single fixture, as my current lower- light corals will be towards the sides of the new tank (currently attached to some larger rocks), & if I get any higher-light corals they will go towards the middle, where they will be directly under the fixture.

I like the idea of an LED fixture without a fan, as I've heard the AI Prime can buzz (although the jury appears to be out as to whether it's the fan or the fixture itself that buzzes).

I'm mixed on the usefulness of the AI Prime's WiFi setup. If it's easy to setup & change, that would be nice. Basically, I like "tweaking" a setup manually quite often - sometimes several times a day. If the AI requires spending several minutes going into a lot of sub-menus, then I'd prefer the simplicity of the Kessil's two knobs.

I haven't seen either of these lights in person, though I have seen the Kessil A360we, and I do like the "point source" look of that light. I've seen mixed reviews on whether the AI Prime has a strong "disco ball" effect or not.

So, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all for the responses.

Having two lights that have a 12" by 12" spread over a 12" x 24" tank makes sense.

Would I perhaps be better off going with one A160we rather than two of the others?

Basically, I don't want to have to buy a light now and then replace it if I want to go higher - due to the dimensions of the tank, I'd rather get one fixture now & add a second later on.

I think any of these lights would be fine for now. However, I'm somewhat concerned that two A80s won't cut it to grow SPS, clams, etc., even though each half would only cover a 12" x 12" x 12" cube.

I'm mostly curious as to whether two AI Primes could eventually grow almost anything. If not, and if two A80s would also be insufficient, I'd probably be better off biting the bullet and buying one A160 now.

I started my 20 on a 160 and then went to the 360 and even the 360 didn't cover the entire tank. The prime was the last light on it before I took it down. the 24" wide tank is just hard to light with a single light.

If we're pulling into sps territory a single kessil anything will be insufficient by virtue of its tiny light source. Except for the AP700 which is ridiculously expensive at $895.

I started my 20 on a 160 and then went to the 360 and even the 360 didn't cover the entire tank. The prime was the last light on it before I took it down. the 24" wide tank is just hard to light with a single light.

If we're pulling into sps territory a single kessil anything will be insufficient by virtue of its tiny light source. Except for the AP700 which is ridiculously expensive at $895.

It seems like my idea of starting with a single point source light is not a good one.

I'm still considering the Nuvo Fusion Lagoon 25, which is a 24" square. Perhaps I should just get that tank instead, and get a bigger single point source light, like the A160, or A360, rather than the fusion 20 with two smaller lights.

I think you know your answer for the most part. A single of either of those lights will be insufficient. If you must choose one I'd vote AI prime. The WiFi capability will save you the cost of a controller as well. Honestly, a used hydra 26 isn't tooooo much more than a new AI prime. But save yourself the headache of spending money now on something you know you will end up replacing later

I have had every AI light since the old controller up until the director and then the AI prime.

its a great light..but sometimes I don't want to mess with every channel and every Led color.

The kessils are def. fool proof and provide adequate spectrum.

I am running 2 A80s and have no problem with spread or goring LPS.

Going to try SPS next.

If I bought two AI primes I would have to run them at 50% and its a significant cost increase compared to the kessils.

edit: forgot to mention the prime fan is a bit loud at times which wouldnt matter so much If the tank was not in my room

It seems like my idea of starting with a single point source light is not a good one.

I'm still considering the Nuvo Fusion Lagoon 25, which is a 24" square. Perhaps I should just get that tank instead, and get a bigger single point source light, like the A160, or A360, rather than the fusion 20 with two smaller lights.

If you're open to it, I'd push you to get the 25. More water volume is always more fun. I love my fusion 20 but 5 extra gallons would be great.

Kessils are beautiful lights but, in my experience, can't grow SPS. If you are considering LPS and softies go with at least a 360 or better. The color blend and simplicity are unbeatable

Edit- I have no experience with the A80. Two could be a good option

My tank is 24" long and my Ai Prime covers it all. No shadowing.

The light is pretty powerful, I think ppl underestimate the power of LED.

I love the wireless ability and its easy. Controlling the light from your sofa or work is great.

Kessil are nice but you will need to buy a controller and 1 won't give you the coverage.

You could also look into Nanobox

My tank is 24" long and my Ai Prime covers it all. No shadowing.

The light is pretty powerful, I think ppl underestimate the power of LED.

Not always a power issue, though if the tank were nothing but if the tank were wall to wall branchung sps it would be.

Some rock scapes are simply going to be incompatible with a single prime even if the tank is only 24" long.

And some people just don't want to deal with six inches of light spill front to back just to get side to side coverage perfect with a single fixture.

Really it just depends on what people are setting up so that the light can complement the dynamics of the the tank it illuminates. :)

I've definitely decided to go with two fixtures, mostly to prevent light spill all over my living room. I know T5 would be a good fit over this tank, but I prefer the customization, form factor, etc of small LED pendants.

I thought about the Lagoon 25, but for a variety of reasons I ordered the IM Nuvo Fusion 20.

So, each light will basically cover a 12" cube.

As of now, I've narrowed the choices down to a pair of AI Primes or Kessil A80s.

I know many people have kept just about everything - including SPS and clams - under an AI Prime, so I have no doubt those could work. The A80s are rather new, and though I'm sure they'd be fine for lower-light corals, I don't know what their upper limit is. If anyone has any feedback on the A80s I'd appreciate hearing it.

just go with the Primes. The Kessil has great shimmer but thats really all it has going for it. Even the Kessil rep at MACNA said it was really only for FOWLR or basic soft corals. For the money the Prime is awesome. The control app is great and they will support anything you put in the tank. Although

There's always this option :happy:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ati-24-led-t5-powermodule-hybrid.html?sku=209638&gclid=CO3ay-bbp9ECFZ64wAodVyUGag

I have an a80 on my jbj 10 gallon 24 x 10 x 10 and it works fine covering the whole thing. I just have a green star polyps and some chaeto in it right now but they are doing well. From what I've heard its good for softies and lps. I haven't tried any sps. I don't know if it would work for those. I'm no expert on lighting. I had an AI Prime for a little while but it was too powerful.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
HighCurrent

I've got 2 A80 tuna blues over my 14g IM Peninsula and it's growing my acropora like a champ. I did a lot of homework before buying a light and decided to roll the dice.

I have a detailed chronical of the whole thing if your interested.

1000rrstunna

ai prime...  i have 5 of them they rock.. mightbe selling one and upgrading to a hydra 26 if your intersted 

Archived