Innovative Marine Aquariums

Adding a BTA to a tank with coral

Bamzam

I always read that you should put the BTA first so that it can pick its preferred spot in the tank. Anyone have experience adding a BTA after they have coral? I have a birdsnest that bleached when my house A/C went out. It colored back up, but not nearly as bright as it used to be so I'm thinking of replacing it with something else. I want to get a BTA but I'm worried about what would happen if it doesn't like the spot the birdsnest was in. My tank is a Mr aqua 12 long so it's very skinny with not a lot of room to move around without running into my other coral. I don't want it to move around stinging everything else, my gold torch and SI pectina in particular that cost me a good amount of money lol. Is this a bad idea? Or are there tricks to help ensure it stays where you'd like to place it?

My tank for reference below. The birdsnest is on the left part of the 3rd rock structure on the right side of the tank.

Q2CP647l.jpg

I don't think it really matters as the anemone can move at anytime it wants regardless if its placed first or last.

Thats the risk one takes with keeping anemones, they can move stinging corals in the process or getting stuck in powerheads/intakes.

agreed with clown79.

I initially had three, one split, and now there are four. ALL of them have roamed around the tank. one is right in the middle of a zoa covered rock =/.

ya I've had several BTA's over the years and only because I'm in the store and see a clown hosting them and cant resist buying it, and end up just stressing myself because my tank is jam packed with coral and all they would do is move around and sting everything... As good looking as they are and interesting when hosted, not worth the stress and hassle.

BTA will do whatever it wants.

• In the same spot for 6 months? Will suddenly move.
  • Change your flow? Probably will move.
  • Change your lighting intensity? Will probably move.

Mine has moved from three distinct spots in a year as it's gotten larger and flow has changed. The clowns are now also hosted by it, which happened when it was in spot #2. Nothing was changed that would have prompted the first move, but the third was putting in dual power heads to make the flow more erratic.

That is a great video. Love his tank and his set up. Makes sense to do a nem only tank. I tried keeping a BTA. My maroon clown killed it. I have a love hate relation with this stupid clown!

That is a great video. Love his tank and his set up. Makes sense to do a nem only tank. I tried keeping a BTA. My maroon clown killed it. I have a love hate relation with this stupid clown!

I agree with this that if you really want a nem, either have is far away from other corals, and i mean far enough that it will move and still not touch anything, or make a nem only tank... If your like me and have every swore inch of rock covered with corals, i can really only have a nem in one exact location, and it happened to be where mine was happy... But, then it moved for no reason, killing 3 colonies of coral....

I have 5 nems in my tank. Two carpets one who has not moved in over a year and one who did kill ( we think) a torch coral. I have three RFAs that seem to stay put. I don't keep pricey corals but still try and place stuff so it is safe

I agree with this that if you really want a nem, either have is far away from other corals, and i mean far enough that it will move and still not touch anything, or make a nem only tank... If your like me and have every swore inch of rock covered with corals, i can really only have a nem in one exact location, and it happened to be where mine was happy... But, then it moved for no reason, killing 3 colonies of coral....

Archived