Cultivated Reef

Electronics experts please help!

TWilly

Hello,

I just created this account because I am very interested in using the bluefish mini controller in a lighting project and I am planning on using it for something it wasn't intended for I think. The problem is I barely know anything about electrical components. So here's my plan:

I want to control a 24V solenoid using the the bluefish mini. I don't need any control over this solenoid other than on and off, turning on 1 hour before the lights start to turn on and off 1 hour before the lights shut off. I'm pretty sure I can use the time shift function on the light channels to accomplish this so I'm not worried about that. I also read in the manual that I can set the minimum dimming level to 100% thereby creating an on off switch. So I think I have the settings figured out.

My issue is figuring out how to control the 24V solenoid with the 3.3V PWM signial put out by the bluefish. I have a single phase solid state relay with a signal input of DC 3-32V. Would I be able to control this directly using the bluefish? Would this cause damage to the bluefish, ssr, or solenoid? I've also looked at using a arduino MOSFET breakout board for this and I'm not sure which is the better option.

According to the technical details on the bluefish it outputs "4096 steps (12-bit PWM) of individual LED brightness control." Does this mean if I wanted to convert the pwm signal to an anolog constant it would be converting from 12-bit PWM? I've read that an RC low pass filter or a digital to analog converter could be used for this. Do I need to convert to analog? And if so what would be the simplest way to do this? I would like to be able to buy pre-made circuits on boards or in enclosures rather than soldering my own circuits, but I can If I need to. Please help I am very confused!

Hmm... I'm not really that great with electronics either but it seems like you would be better off using an Arduino with a DC relay breakout board... I'm not sure how it would work trying to convert a PWM signal to use with a relay.

Just my $0.02...

Well I wanted to use the Bluefish for my lights and for convenience also use it for this application, so I'd rather use a regular timer for the solenoid if I can't use the Bluefish.

I guess my thinking is that if the Bluefish and the Arduino can both operate on 5V and output 3.3V PWM then why couldn't I use a DC relay breakout board made for Arduino with the Bluefish?

jedimasterben

If you are looking for analog output, the only option is to set a minimum percentage of 100 for that channel, that way that channel is a digital full off or full on, no dimming.

Please ensure that your relay will not sink more than I think 4mA of current at 3.3v, as that is everything the Mini has got per channel.

It looks like this relay board could work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302027775876?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's designed to be used with multiple microcontrollers so the 400Hz signal from the Bluefish mini will hopefully work. It should accept the 5V supply from the Bluefish mini power supply and respond to the 3.3V input voltage as well. The only issue is I don't know how many mA of current it would draw from the input signal...

If it does work this solution is a cheap and easy way to control any DC or AC device up to 10A. It's unfortunate that there is still no official relay outlet sold for this device.

Archived