Cultivated Reef

What's happening with my palythoa? look sick :(

Soneca-II

coral2

Hi,
I have bought the coral last week and it had been fine until monday. Monday i started to notice it wouldn't expand (top picture) all 3 heads ( or polyps, don't know how to call it). Following picture was during weekend if i'm not mistaken and same middle head was happy.

IMG 20161208 145929

Yesterday i have move them to other place and today it appear happier but when i got a look moment ago i notice that the inside of the smaller head is all white :( and this can't be good.
I notice some "bugs" arround them, and i could bet that they are not amphypods that i'm use to see but quite small, maybe 3 mm darker. Again, i'm not shure if i'm not just wrongly identifying them due to be quite small.
Is this normal? Can i do something to help?
Thanks in advance

Polyps close from time to time.

Moving them frequently can cause them to stay closed for days.

Palythoa are pretty hardy, most ppl can't get rid of them.

In order to determine what "bugs" are in them, we'd need a pic or better description.

• 2 months later...

I have a green palythoa that I purchased from lfs and it doesn't ever completely open. My lfs said I needed to dip it in RO water to clean the pest off of it. I did that over the weekend and yes there were pest. It's 4 days later and it doesn't look any better. Should I dip if again or do something different?

IMG_1166.JPG

Why don't you try raising them a little closer to the light and monitor how they do.

Those are beautiful, but very toxic be careful :)

Sandy

24 minutes ago, Got Corals said:

Why don't you try raising them a little closer to the light and monitor how they do.

Sandy

I have a green palythoa that I purchased from lfs and it doesn't ever completely open. My lfs said I needed to dip it in RO water to clean the pest off of it. I did that over the weekend and yes there were pest. It's 4 days later and it doesn't look any better. Should I dip if again or do something different?

4 hours ago, tlford555 said:

IMG_1166.JPG

4 hours ago, Got Corals said:

Sandy

3 hours ago, dandelion said:

Try bayer dip?

Tlford555, I wouldnt recommend dipping it again, in my experience this will only cause unnecessary stress. As Sandy said above they look to be "reaching" for additional light, move them up 25-50% of the way up the tank and let them be for another week. You should start to see some changes, either more will open and you'll know its an acclimation issue or the open ones will close and that will tell you its time to find a different spot. 

I would suggest bayer dip with saltwater vs. pure RO, but both are known methods. You've got a seemingly happy rock of eagle eyes right behind these so the tank itself cant be doing too badly, these will probably come around.

Paly's are almost indestructible and take over quickly. 

They often close up and open for various reasons.

I wouldn't redip them. Give them time.

If they are stretching(stalks look long) they need more light. 

When handling them always wear gloves, they are extremely toxic.

Archived