ReefCleaners.org

Coral Beauty Angelfish

JSinger884

I have a 30 gallon tank with 2 true ocellaris clownfish. I am interested in putting in a coral beauty angelfish, although I read they are difficult to keep. Should I get one, or just buy an easier fish?

First, the usual caveat:

Coral Beauty Angels are known for sometimes eating coral. If you were to get one, you may or may not have this problem, depending on the personality of that individual fish, and the adequecy of your food supply. Coral Beauties seem to be more problematic in this area than many other dwarf angels. I would certainly consider a Cherub (C. argi) or African Flameback (C. acanthops) before a Beauty.

That said, I believe a Coral Beauty Angel can be considered a viable fish for a 30g reef. However, NOT with two other territorial fish. I would only attempt it with more docile fish, or possibly a single clown.

Get one.. U will really like it. They can be nippers, but they are hearty and active. Ive kept thenm in full reef setups before with corals... occasionaly they can cause problems.. they like mantel slime from clams and occasionaly softies and Lobo slime. Im devoting a chapter to dwarf Centropagye angels in my book.... when I finish it, Ill post the chapter here !

Without corals, you can certainly consider a Coral Beauty. In my experience, putting thme in a 20g tank, which is really as little as they can stand, with other aggressive, territorial fish, always ends with someone being removed for their own safety. Both parties will nip and harass until they're blue in the face.

I'm sure there are people out there with opposing anecdotal experiences, but I certainly wouldn't suggest it unless you had a bigger tank.

If you are dead-set on trying it, though, your best luck will be if clowns are juveniles and an operating pair. If they're full grown, the two of them will feel extremely confident in harassing the angel. If they're young, they might not be so interested in fighting a bigger fish, but will still defend each other. Hopefully that will act as a deterrant for the angel.

Archived