Top Shelf Aquatics

Just getting interested

Salim

I just finished cycling (fishless of course) a new 29gal fresh water aquarium and I stumbled across nano-reefs purely by accident while reasearching what I'd like to put in it. Of course I still haven't decided.

Now my wife is probably going to kill me in a few months when I start buying stuff to set up a nano reef of my own. I went to the LFS today to get some ideas on equipment costs and livestock while I was there I picked up a copy of "The Marine Aquarium Handbook" by Martin A. Moe because I've never even considered a saltwater set up before. Any opinions on this book?

I've still got a ton of planning to do:) But I fairly sure I'm going to convert an old 10gal that I have.

Is it possible to cycle an empty tank by adding ammonia like I would a freshwater tank? Or is live rock the prefered method?

I do have one other question. I looked at some of the live rock at the LFS and I've no idea how to tell what's good or bad. I'm actually the only person I know that has aquariums so I can't exactly go look at someone elses. I've gathered I want pacific rock, cured if possible. What else should I look for?

Just wanted to inroduce myself

Salim

hey Salim,

welcome aboard. i'm also fairly new here. only joinded about 2 months ago. i've already got a tank set up and running. i just added some snails and hermit crabs a couple days ago and i can't wait to start getting corals.

obviously you've already started reading and that's what everybody here is going to tell you to do. this place is by far the best place to get info on nanos. i've learned almost everything i know (not a lot but enough to get started) and everyday i'm finding new things here. go to the info part of this website. the articles in there are very helpful.

as for you're question about adding ammonia... i don't think it's a good idea. the easiest way i've found and recently did is to get live rock AND live sand, then add the salt water and let it go. it's quite simple.

this is the best hobby and you're gonna have a lot of fun.B)

oh yeah, what kind of fresh water fish are you planning on keeping? i've got an 80gal fresh tank with african cichlids.

BustytheSnowMaam

Hi Salim,

Welcome to nano-reef.com!

I haven't read that book you're talking about, but the setup for a nano is usually a bit simpler than the reefkeeping books describe.

A good, straightforward, simple source of info is to click on the "information" link on the top, click on "nano reef articles", then click on "nano reef setup". There is also an article there on selecting live rock.

Good luck!

Tasha

There is a ton, let me correct myself, a TON!!! of information on this board. Read, read, read and do @*##$ load of searches on the board. Chances are that there are about 100 previous threads on live rock and cycling. But for the love of God, don't add ammonia to your reef tank!! Not only will these searches give you a faster answer to your question, but it will keep the flames of sarcasm down by some of our fellow hobbyists. Welcome, and good luck.

Salim,

Get out while you can!! This hobby is ADDICTIVE!! haha :D What you should do first on this board is search the old threads for information, there's plenty of good stuff on here about live rock, live sand, equipment, and what not. If you can't find your answers, ask em'! We'll be more then happy to answer them for you. :happy:

Oh yeah... and watch out for a member named Dave... dun dun dun... :D

printerdown01

Welcome to the board! LOL, yet another one gets roped into reefing simply by looking at some beautiful tanks (I think that's how we all get started ;) ). Wow The Marine Aquarium Handbook!! That thing has been around FOREVER!! Unless there is a new edition you are probably looking at an outdated text ;). However, I still own the thing (I don't through any of my books away -but I did leave it back in the San Francisco Area). Anyway, it probably recommends undergravel filtration -so be sure to ignore that part, and probably the part about lighting ;). Other than that you will learn a lot about keeping salt water from it! I just did a search on books for you and came up with this: recent book discussion . ;) )

Salim,

You sound like me a month ago - to the tee. I was setting up a 5-gallon for my three-year-old, and while at the fish store, was enthralled with the saltwater tanks. Corals? I couldn't believe it. 20 years ago, people didn't keep corals in their saltwater tanks.

Ditto to what Tasha said above. That's EXACTLY how I got started. I read the information that Chris (the administrator) wrote, and a day later decided to set up a 10-gallon nano. Went to Wal-Mart, bought a 10-gallon tank, for $8 and thought, "Man, this isn't gonna cost much at all!". Yeah, right. $300 and counting.....I'll get my live rock & sand tomorrow, and I've already had my first spill.

A word of advice - remind your wife how lovely she looks today (every day), and don't forget what a good cook she is. In other words, get her to buy into it first! Take her to the fish store and show her the corals & my wife's favorite, the shrimp.

Hope you decide to go for it...

Ross

hey ross, how's ya tank goin' now, hope you sorted you're salt 'deposits' problem out ok, can we get some progress piccies soon chap, all sounds good at mo.

cheers, lee :)

Archived