Cultivated Reef

Nylon screw assortment - where to buy?

ajmckay

So it seems like I'm always finding great uses for nylon screws in various reef/hobby projects. They're ideal for reef projects because they can't rust and they're reef safe. But I can only find certain sizes at a limited number of hardware stores. On top of that they're expensive because you can only but in 2-3 packs.

Does anyone know of a cheap place online to buy a nylon screw assortment in standard sizes? I find a lot of metric (M2, M3, M4, M5, etc...) but nothing in standard sizes - which is what all my taps are.

An ideal assortment would have:

25x 4-40 pan head screws 1" length + 25 nuts

25x 6-32 pan head screws 1.5" length + 25 nuts

25x 8-32 pan head screws 2" length + 25 nuts

25x 10/32 pan head screws 2" length + 25 nuts

25x 1/4" pan head screws 2.5" length + 25 nuts

I got a bunch for fairly cheap at true value/ransom brothers. I just went right to their hardware section where they have all the Lil drawers with individual nuts, screws, washers etc and found various size nylon nuts, screws and washers for about 10c each

I got a bunch for fairly cheap at true value/ransom brothers. I just went right to their hardware section where they have all the Lil drawers with individual nuts, screws, washers etc and found various size nylon nuts, screws and washers for about 10c each

Thanks for the suggestions. I do think I have found some stuff at ACE - but I don't find them consistently at every store though - also I seem to recall that they were more like $0.25 each or more...

Note that Metric is plentiful and cheap - it's the standard sizes that are tough to find...

eBay 150pc assortment for $4

At this point it may just be cheaper to buy the metric stuff and also buy a new tap/die set LOL...

It would just be nice to have an assortment at home ready to go so that I don't have to go hunt down the small quantity I need each time I want some... Also want to save some $$ by buying a larger quantity.

Marc.The.Shark

Lowes has a lot of different sizes in the specialty screw section, i.e. the drawers. I find a lot of oddball plastic stuff there for my tanks too, plastic grommets, plugs, etc. I usually just buy on an as needed basis. The other idea is to IM cromag08, he does a lot of acrylic work & I remember when he made my screen top he was using white nylon screws & I told him I wanted clear acrylic & he said he had to find them, didn't take him long, so I'd imagine he has come across some pretty good sources.

I just checked McMaster-Carr's website. They sell them by the 100 for about $6-$7 per pack.

I suppose that's not too bad - but I think you probably have to have them shipped... Might be able to put together a decent assortment. Still - it's not that I need a ton of these, but I would like to have an assortment of sizes with a decent quantity and selection. There are kits that come with screw/nut/washer combos between 4-5 different sizes. Except they're all in metric... Just trying to find something similar in standard sizes.

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/search?query=nylon

if you got a big project!

hahahaha

Wow - that in a large quantity of plastic screws!

Archived