inTank Media Baskets

SPS Peeps-Need a Parameter Gameplan!

RIP Sebastian

RIP Sebastian

As you may or may not know, my ALK levels have been through the roof lately. It is currently a little under 11. I want it to be 7-8. My tank uses.25 dKh per day. I have a new bucket of Red Sea Blue Bucket in my basement. So, to switch salts, I believe you have to do a 75:25, 50:50,25:75, then 100. Wouldn't this mixed solution raise my alk? What should I do?

Thanks,

Nick

If your current salt is mixing to 10dKH and your new salt mixes to 7 dKH, you'll get a number in between the two (so it'll only go down), depending on how much you mix. If it's one third the lower alk, you'll get 9 dKH. Two thirds the lower alk, 8dKH. All lower alk, 7dKH.

RIP Sebastian

If your current salt is mixing to 10dKH and your new salt mixes to 7 dKH, you'll get a number in between the two (so it'll only go down), depending on how much you mix. If it's one third the lower alk, you'll get 9 dKH. Two thirds the lower alk, 8dKH. All lower alk, 7dKH.

My current salt mixes to 24.5. WAAYYY TO HIGH. It would just raise my alk. Should I just do continuous water changes until it gets down?

My current salt mixes to 24.5. WAAYYY TO HIGH. It would just raise my alk. Should I just do continuous water changes until it gets down?

How in god's name... Wow. Wow. :wacko:

If that's the case, yeah, I'd just do a series of smaller water changes with the new salt until the tank is adjusted, and sitting at the same alk/cal as the new salt.. Let the parameters fall until they're at/below the red sea, dose to match if needed, and then resume with regular/larger water changes.

EDIT: I should mention that those water changes have to be small enough not to pull alk down too far at once. The suggestion is no more than 1dKH per day, but that implies spread out over 24 hours, not a sudden water change. Maybe you can sprinkle some of the old salt into the mix :P

RIP Sebastian

How in god's name... Wow. Wow. :wacko:

If that's the case, yeah, I'd just do a series of smaller water changes with the new salt until the tank is adjusted, and sitting at the same alk/cal as the new salt.. Let the parameters fall until they're at/below the red sea, dose to match if needed, and then resume with regular/larger water changes.

Great! Thanks.

RIP Sebastian

Added a note, just in case!

Read! So just maybe 1 gallon changes of the new salt to start with and just continue with it every day?

Well, one gallon is only a 3% water change, which will only bring alk down by .12dKH.. It might be good to start with a 1-3gal water change.

Keep in mind that as your alk gets used up in the tank, you'll be safer with larger changes since alk will be closer to the new salt mix.

Seriously, how was your tank faring with the current salt?!

RIP Sebastian

What salt are you currently using?!?!

That would lead to alch burn every waterchange. :(

Well, one gallon is only a 3% water change, which will only bring alk down by .12dKH.. It might be good to start with a 1-3gal water change.

Keep in mind that as your alk gets used up in the tank, you'll be safer with larger changes since alk will be closer to the new salt mix.

Seriously, how was your tank faring with the current salt?!

I was/am using RSCP. Almost all Euphyllias were deteriorating, my acans melted, etc. So should I worry about the new salt?

I was/am using RSCP. Almost all Euphyllias were deteriorating, my acans melted, etc. So should I worry about the new salt?

Was it just one bucket mixing to that, or all of them? When I used RSCP, it mixed between 11 and 12dKH. And they recently started doing batch testing on their salts, too (which is why I'm trying the blue bucket after this aqua vitro's done).

I'd test the first batch of saltwater you make with the new salt and confirm that it's mixing to the level it says it will. It shouldn't be a problem if it's correct.

RIP Sebastian

Was it just one bucket mixing to that, or all of them? When I used RSCP, it mixed between 11 and 12dKH. And they recently started doing batch testing on their salts, too (which is why I'm trying the blue bucket after this aqua vitro's done).

I'd test the first batch of saltwater you make with the new salt and confirm that it's mixing to the level it says it will. It shouldn't be a problem if it's correct.

I tested a fresh 5 gallon bucket and got that level. So I shouldn't worry about the different salt? It won't affect the fish or corals?

I tested a fresh 5 gallon bucket and got that level. So I shouldn't worry about the different salt? It won't affect the fish or corals?

You shouldn't expect catastrophe, no, but there are still trace elements that could differ from your old salt (especially if it had alk so out of whack) - that's why you want to transition slowly. Maybe it's strontium, maybe potassium, maybe iodine, etc etc.

I think the safe route is to do smaller water changes with the new salt to do vacuuming where needed, and use carbon and mechanical filtration to otherwise keep things clean until your parameters fall in line. Once alk and cal match your new salt, the trace elements will follow during regular water changes.

RIP Sebastian

You shouldn't expect catastrophe, no, but there are still trace elements that could differ from your old salt (especially if it had alk so out of whack) - that's why you want to transition slowly. Maybe it's strontium, maybe potassium, maybe iodine, etc etc.

I think the safe route is to do smaller water changes with the new salt to do vacuuming where needed, and use carbon and mechanical filtration to otherwise keep things clean until your parameters fall in line. Once alk and cal match your new salt, the trace elements will follow during regular water changes.

Great! Awesome! You are a lifesaver! Thanks so much!

Hmm. I too have been having higher alk issues with my RSCP. It has only been in this last batch.

Might be time for me to switch over to something else.

RIP Sebastian

Hmm. I too have been having higher alk issues with my RSCP. It has only been in this last batch.

Might be time for me to switch over to something else.

I got the Red Sea Blue Bucket. Says at 35.5 ppt it has an alk of 8.5, I believe.

I have been using RSCP salt for a while now. It always mixes high on Alk. To bring it down I've used muriatic acid. I don't like to use it as it some seriously potent stuff!

So I have made the decision to switch to the Aquaforest program and will be using their Probiotic salt. I've looked at the zeovit methods in the past, but the AF method looks like it is simpler to use and less expensive.

Aquaforest user guide:

http://aquaforest.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Aquaforest_Products-Guide_EN_RGB.pdf

I use rscp, my alk is 9. I like it at 9.

I find 7 too liw for sps and lps. When my alk was at 7 my corals weren't doing very well.

I have changed salts with no gradual chnfe with no issues.

Your alk mixing at 24.5, i don't get that. Possibly a bad bucket?

been using RSCP for a while, only time my TANK values got that high were with a coral die off from heat issues, then kept dosing at the same level..... oops. all is better now.

i may have to ditch the RSCP and go to whatever KAT is currently using ;)

Archived