inTank Media Baskets

New Green Clown Goby-really cool.

Sahin

Heres a pic of my Green clown goby - Gobiodon rivulatus.

I got him last Sunday. He settled in right away and began eating spirulina enriched frozen brine shrimp that evening. The LFS had him and a few others for many weeks in thier tanks and said they eat most foods.

I bough him for my tank to add a little colour to the fish sotck, but the main reason I chose this guy was due to his size. At the moment he is only about 1inch long and they grow to a maximum size of about 1.5inches. This is really good as I dont want to impact the bioload too much with fishes.

This guy is really cool, he sits on the highest coral, the Green Hydnophora when the shrimp isnt around, and somtimes sits on top of the clam or the plate coral.

Here is a pic of him sitting on top of the maxima clam: This pic was taken with flash.

That's really efing beutiful, would you like me to make you an avatar out of it? One nice thing about it is that it is blright, but it doesn't look cheesy like a basslet. It's collers also wil complement purple corals and coraline algae. do I sound too much like martha stewart?

Sahin,

Congrats on your new goby! I was looking to get a Green Clown Goby as well, but I wasn't patient enough to wait on the LFS to get one. Yours is very nicely colored indeed, and I really like the unique shape of these gobies. Perfect sized nano creatures. :D

Gil

she's deffinitely a goby, lovely aye.

Anyway whats that avitar, that womans good for something aye !!!

catchy drifty !! :D :D

lee :)

ELLO GUV! That's a woman deep throating a whole ballon AYE. the type that clowns make ballons out of MATE. CHIMNEY SWAPE I AM I AM. I WONDAH WHO THA LUCKY BLOKE IS THAT IS SHAGGING HER AYE?

Thanks. :) I am quite happy with this find. This fish is just perfect size for nano tanks. He has really good colours too.

tgrupert: sure you can make an avatar, for yourself or me, thanks.

Lee, I bought this little guy from Aquatic Design Centre in Londons West End, its the place right behind Oxford Street.

They have a few more in sotck, but you gotta look for them as they hide a lot in thier tanks--and they are really small.

I noticed my one as he was perching inside a brain coral.

Mine stays on top of corals and looks pretty nice. It doesnt swim like other fishes, but rather it "hops". It also has this sucker thing on its underside and sometimes sticks onto glass walls, which looks pretty cool (though when I saw him do that on 2nd day I thought he was dead...hehehe).

Originally posted by Paul G

Nice looking fish B) looks like it has lots of character - do you know if it's possible to keep pairs ?

Good photos too

I got this from ffexpress:

"As they are hermaphrodites, any two put together will almost always end up being a pair."

Here is the whole article:

Clown Gobies

Gobiodon spp.

Several species of the Gobiodon family are referred to commonly as Clown Gobies. These loveable little fish are blessed with quiet natures and brilliant colors. They are particularly well suited to a reef environment. They use their "suction cup" pelvic fins to hold on to just about anything including the sides of your aquarium.

They enjoy perching on corals which have only a mild sting such as soft corals, mushrooms and colonial anemones. Acropora and similar hard corals are also favorites.

A poisonous (yet non-toxic) mucous on their skin protects them from predators.

Newly arrived specimens should be offered live foods (brine & Mysis shrimp) to get them started. Once established, they accept a wide variety of frozen and dry foods, although flake foods are almost always rejected. While they have hearty appetites, they should not be kept with fish that are aggressive feeders since these fish are not strong swimmers.

Breeding is very common in captivity, althought rearing the young is rarely achieved. As they are hermaphrodites, any two put together will almost always end up being a pair. It is possible to differentiate the sexes by the size of external breeding tubes (male's is longer) that extend from the vent of each fish. Those of us with a less keen eye can recognize the female when she becomes swollen with eggs. Adult size is about 1.5".

• 1 month later...

Sahin,

how's your clown goby doing? an LFS here recently got some in so i'm seriously thinking about picking one up. the only thing i'm worried about is whether they eat fauna from the sandbed. i'm trying to get my pod population up and i would rather stay away from this fish for now if he'll decimate them.

Flaunt; go ahead and buy one of these. They essentially wait for food to pass right by thier face--then they grab it. It wont go hunting for pods. And I dont think many pods will be lining up to be eaten. Basically it comes and rests on top of the brain coral every night to eat. I drop the foods for everyone and it eats that.

This fish is not a hunter and nor does it sift through the sand. Its perfect for a nano tank.

Mine is doing well. I highly recommend this fish. Only thing is to make sure it gets its share of food. You generally wont see much of this fish, it hides somewhere in the tank during the light hours. Hope that helps.

Archived