Coral Vue Hydros

feeding candy cane.

jackass

Dr. Saltwater

Just before the lights go on the tentacles are out. That's the best time to feed it because it's full of plankton and when the tentacles retract, the corals gets it's daily light.

yes, tentacles out when the lights are off... that's when you want to feed it, if you must. I've never fed the one in my tank, it's grown from 2 to 15 heads in the last 11 months.

-skeletor-

• 2 weeks later...

all LPS will benefit from monthly direct feedings of meaty food. I feed mine small pieces of silversides. Frogspawns/bubbles/brains prefer feeding while the light is on. Just stick it directly in their mouths. They'll ingest it pretty quickly...one piece per head.

I disagree, I don't think mine would "Survive " any better than what he has, and he is just fed when the tank is fed, nothing more.

2 years now in the tank and "Seems", very happy..

Candy.jpg

I just got my first candy cane coral two weeks ago. Ive been adding phytoplankton every other day for it and my mushrooms right after the light goes out. But I noticed some parts of a couple of the heads are white. I think they were like then when i got it but not sure. Does that mean its dying? What kind of specs. does it need to flourish?

bobioden--I have to agree with etoh on this. In the wild, most LPS subsist on more than just the photosynthetic energy that their symbiotic xooxanthellae produce. If you have lots of 'pods or other zooplankton floating around your system, they are probably eating these during lights out without your knowing it. If not, try feeding them; I have no doubt that they will survive, but why not have them thrive? Just switch places for a minute--if you were their pet, would you want them to only feed you crackers or a well-balanced diet?

I never said he is not eating. I am sure he is. I feed the fish every day so there is flake floating around. I also feed mysis shrimp, Dt's and Cyclop-ezze a few times a week.I also have a fuge full of pods and I am sure he is feeding off them. I just have never spot fed him, and he is definately doing more than surviving. He has grown for 4 heads to over 15, and they are huge and always expanded.

Archived