Innovative Marine Aquariums

PC Lumens

Doc Shake

Does anyone have an idea what the lumen output is for Coralife 65 watt PCs? I know the 9 watts are 600 lm, but I dont think that you can just scale up. Thanks.

MrConclusion

The actual lumens delivered to the tank depends A LOT on the reflector and ballast used, so you don't often see these numbers in the product literature.

This is especially true of PC bulbs, where it's difficult (because of the twin-tube design of the bulbs) for the reflectors to be truly efficient. This is because a significant amount of the light from leach side of the bulb just lands on the other side of the bulb... a condition known as "restrike." All reflectors experience restrike, too.

The ideal bulb would be very thin and very bright. That's why the hobby is moving towards thin T5 (5/8" diameter) and away from t12 (12/8" diameter) bulbs. The thinner the bulb, the more light escapes the fixture without restriking on the bulb itself.

I was kind of thinking that as the bulbs are so long it may be hard to rate lumens. So if I want to find lux, it seems math will fail me and I need to find a meter! Thanks.

Archived