Cultivated Reef

need help identifying! Cyanobacteria or algae? how to get rid of?

scubafish

I looked everywhere and I can't seem to pinpoint what this stuff is! A couple weeks ago, I started seeing this purple stuff creeping up on my live rock. It has some tufts but for the most part it has this shiny look. It is easily scraped off of rocks. Do any of you guys know what this is, specifically?

also: tank perameters are good (0 nitrates, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 8.3 pH, 1.024 salinity)

I do 10% to 20% water changes once a week, and this is a year old 10 gallon nano tank.

The only animals I have in it are: 1 porcelain crab, 2 juvenile ocellaris, 2 zebra hermits.

there is a 20gallon hang filter and a 240gph wave pump in the tank, so it has good water flow.

I've tried turning off the lights for 2 days, and that didn't seem to help.

thanks in advance!

Algae in tank  feat.porcelain crab

I am going to guess at Cyano.

Does it blow off or suck up into a Siphon easily? (Turkey Baster or WC Vacuum).

When I had a Cyano problem, I reduced my feeding, Sucked up as much as I could daily.

Used "Red Slime" Remover. (Remove Carbon and turn off protein skimmer when using this)

My Cyano was primarily on my sand bed, so that was easy enough.

Like I said, I am just guessing.

+1 on the Red Slime remover. I had an outbreak a while

Back and that stuff banished it in like 2 days. Cyano can creep up in areas that don't get enough flow, you might have a dead spot in the flow.

• 3 weeks later...

Cyano.

Before using any products(should be final resort) try getting rid of the cause. Figure out what you have done differently, what you may not be doing that has caused it.

Using a product is fine but fixing the cause is better. It prevents it from reoccurring.

Reduce lighting period, reduce feedings, clean all your filters/chambers. Keep windows covered.

Syphon it out and any pieces you scrub off. Vacuum sand bed. Do a couple of waterchanges more so than normal.

Change floss daily during this time.

Increase flow

In between water changes, suck it up with a turkey baster.

Archived