Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Which powerheads to use?

NaNO ReeFiN

printerdown01

I like the rio 90 in my 12 gallon. It puts out enough current to make it to the other side of the tank, yet it doesn't make it look like a tropical storm in my tank. Fairly small and inexpensive too. Rios last for a LONG time, but do need to be maintained. You certainly don't have to clean them once a week or anything but perhaps every 4-6 months or so... I have had the one in my tank for about 4 years (perhaps more) and it still runs like champ. I haven't even had any of the propellers break off!

I'd go with the RIO myself, even tho I got an Via Aqua (was on sale). I've heard nothing but praise for it. I'm gonna get one and just put the other one away till I get a bigger tank.

Maxi-jets anyday. Or thier mini versions the mini-jets. These powerheads are always reliable and especially the maxijets, they come with lots of attachments etc.

I recommened the Maxi-jet 400's for your tank which I believe is a 10G?

I have read of many complaints about the Rio's so take your pick.

I have had nothing but problems with Maxijets. I have two for flow, 1 for mixing up ASW, 1 for auto-top off and a spare. The impellers in two of the five units failed after six months. The shaft magnets are only glued to a retainer for the impeller blades. If the glue breaks, the magnet spins but the blades don't rotate so no water is pumped. Poor design in my view.

Archived