Coral Vue Hydros

Eclipse 6 Question

tawamiami

First and foremost...I am VERY sorry if this is one of those incredibly irritating megaposts that every beginner asks w/out searching...i HAVE searched fairly extensively and researched.

I have an eclipse 6. At the moment, I have the 2 x 13watt Bright Kit™ from http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm ...(side question...how important is the reflector for that, found in the "deluxe kit"...would i really notice a difference?)

One of my bulbs is an actinic, the other a 50/50. I know that this is insufficient if i want any serious corals/clams...i will be adding two 20w Coralife Mini Compact 50/50 bulbs soon.

Does this combination (66 watts total) seem sufficient, for...say...maybe an anemone or a clam?...if not...how about just ditching the 26w's of retrofit and opting for a total of four of the coralife 50/50's? (for a total of 80w's) The hood would be hanging from the ceiling, maybe 2 inches off the tank, so heat shouldn't be a problem. tell me if too much light would be lost in doing so.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

edit...gotta work on those addition skills

From what I remember of my old Eclipse 6, the 2 of the 13w reflectors won't fit unless you remove both sdtock lighting and the stock filter. Even then, I think you need to do some trimming of the reflector in order to fit them in well.

I'm making a custom hood for a friend of mine (gave her the old eclipse) and will use the screw-in 50/50s. Either 4 20w'ers or 2 20w & 2 10w(have 2 onhand).

Archived