inTank Media Baskets

70W DE stronger than 175-250 SE?

DRZL-sauras

Heres the dilemna

I am going to upgrade my shallow 20L 12" depth for a 29G 18" depth tank. The only bust is that I MIGHT have to upgrade my lighting. Yet ive been reading all over the place and there are mixed reviews on the intensity of these bulbs. Is DE really that much more intense than SE? Can a 70w DE 10K be sufficient for my new tank to handle SPS and clams? I Plan on having a mixed tank with light demanding corals on the top but i want to make sure they will thrive not just survive. so heres one for anyone that knows lighting. Ive been pretty stumped so any chimes would be appreciated. 8)

135 W PC of actinic 03 are also present on this setup by the way

I know this shouldve been placed in the lighting forum but im a rebel

No, I used to think that as well. Then I read one of Sanjay Joshi and my opinion changed. It has been said that 150 watt de is aprox. = to 250 watt se. According to the article, which is here:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov...02/feature2.htm,

it is aprox = to a 175 se. Either way, most people will tell you that a 70 watt de is no where near as intense and its limit is shallow tanks like 20L's. Also, the cost is about the same as 150 watt de's anyway, and that is what I am working one for my 29g tank right now (I orginally planned on going w/ a 250 se but changed based on the belief that 150 de was =, but it still works). PM me if you need a ballast...

Sam

The lamps themselves are not brighter. The more efficient reflector design for the smaller diameter DE lamps is the key...

A 250W DE (draws about 320W on an HQI ballast) in a DE style pendant (PFO mini, RO III) is very close to a 400W SE (draws about 475W+) in a retro reflector.

A bare 150 DE is close to a bare 175W SE (and they run about the same power draw). With a DE pendant, the DE lamps will put more light into your tank than the 175 in a normal reflector but should still be less than a 250W SE in a normal reflector (opinion only).

A 70W DE in a good DE pendant should be comparable to a 100W SE (which are not really available for aquariums) in a retro reflector.

These are all assuming that your comparing like bulbs (all Ushio 10K's). The only stats that have been measured are Sanjay's tests of 250W DE vs 400W SE and bare 150W DE vs 175W SE.

would this in turn mean if put lets say a parabolic reflector within my 30" CSL hood for the halide it woud have more output? at this 100W SE theoritically would it be enough to illuminate the TOP part of my tank to SPS needs? I mean people like brooklyn johnny are having success with acros on PC...not browned out but thriving...seand thank you for the informative post...to badd there isnt much info in the way of 70W halides. Also I go on the basis that sucess with SPS is 1/4 lights 1/4 feeding 1/2 water chemistry. Im sucking up water chemistry info like a madman and my tank is holding stable at 500+ calc and 10DKH....and no its not precipating at all.looking forward to replies

Archived