inTank Media Baskets

What to do?

Vwcrackerjack

Sucks about the DC pump - those things aren't cheap. Can you make a warranty claim? I swapped my return out for a DC pump about a year ago and I couldn't imagine going back to a regular AC pump - lol!

As for the metal hose clamp - it's not ideal to have in a reef tank but I can't say how harmful it would be to corals either. Iron and various metals are found in the oceans, but since we have small volume closed systems it's hard to say how quickly it will accumulate - certainly could be a factor in your growth issues. Also possibly more harmful than the metal itself is the grease/oil used to lubricate it. I've had rusty stuff in my tank before without noticeable ill effects (a razor blade and a bolt - not exactly sure how the bolt got in there, possibly from hanging my light).

On a side note - algae does like higher levels of iron (iron is a regular supplement in planted tanks) so may have fueled your caulerpa growth further.

I tried the up loads. It wouldn't work. I will get something to work as soon as I can.

maybe you need to change the settings of your camera to shoot in a smaller format? However, I shoot in RAW which creates very large files and can post from Flicker.com

Well the metal clamp rusting in the water could definitely be an issue to the corals health. I would use plastic zip ties for now and purchase plastic clamps.

The rusty clamp would not effect your phos, nitrates, ca etc.

I'd continue doing your water changes nd run fresh good quality carbon

Vwcrackerjack

NY reef aquatics actually had a pump which fits in my sump and will line right up to my existing plumbing. So I picked up some chemipure blue and put in my reactor. Hopefully that will help with some of the dissolved metal.

I originally setup my tank for a larger pump and put a pvc rail with valves so I could run multiple items off one pump. My mag couldn't handle it so I just had carbon and gfo in a bag in sump. Definitely not the same as being in a reactor. I'm feeling psyched again.

Messed around with the tank enough tonight so water change will have to wait til tomorrow. Planning a 10g change and hopefully that will get things back on track.

Archived